so baytril hasnt worked.... what next?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canela_2004

Reaction score
So Kahlua was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection two weeks ago and she had a course of baytril that lasted 10 days. She still has the white discharge and sneezing. I spoke to the doctor and she prescribed Gentamycin drops to put into each nostril two times a day for ten days.Does this seem like something that will help? Anyone else try the gentamycin with success?

When Miffy had an upper respiratory infection in the summer, the vet hospital loaned us a portable nebuliser machine. We had to nebulise her 3 times a day. We just put her in her carry box, blocked up the vents a bit and let the nebuliser pump out the steam (from saline solution), it eased her breathing. She got Baytril also.

mummybunny

My Max has also been battling an URI. It started with pretty severe bronchitis, which, thanks to the nebulizer, we've cleared up.

Like you, my vet prescribed baytril first to see if that worked. It didn't. Sas had posted nebulizing info in the resource center, so I emailed that to my vet. He didn't have a nebulizer on hand, so I rented one from a local pharmacy for $10 a week until the one I bought on ebay (for 30.00) arrived.

We still kept up with the baytril, but I also nebulized him for 15 min2x a day. We used a cocktail of sterile saline (3ml) and mucomyst(.3ml).

Also, because a lot of Max's problems were also nasal, we used gentamycindrops in his nose 2x a day.

This worked like a charm. Unfortunately, he still has nasal problems right now, but the bronchitis completely cleared up.

Oh, and for the nebulizing chamber, I made one myself out of a large tupperware box. See the links in the resource center for more info. Respiratory Infections

I'll be praying for your little one. These URI's can be pretty resilient.

thank for your replies. when your little ones were sick, were they still eating/drinking ok? cuz kahlua seems to have a good appetite it's just the sneezing and snot that worries me. i am definitely going to look into nebulizing...

Sorry, I see now that you mentioned that in your first post.

Is the vet sure it isn't pastuerella (snuffles)? Max's discharge has been clear the entire time. White discharge is usually a sign of pastuerella, from whatI know.

Also, if you look into nebulizing, you might ask about putting the gentamycin in the nebulizing saline solution. I know a few of the bunny owners who I read about online had success putting the antibiotic right into the nebulizing saline.

If his problems are more respiratory and not nasal, I would think that would work better than the drops...

Well, i have been using the drops as well as using a humidifier in my room to help her breathe better and it seems to be helping. She doesn't sneeze as much and her discharge is getting clearer. Hopefully after finishing the meds she will be 100% better. I will be watching her like a hawk though because I want to get another rabbit in the spring and I wont be able to if she is sick.

We are going through this too.Livingston was on oral baytril for 6 weeks and on injections of baytril about 23 days. He STILL has white discharge. He is eating, drinking, and pooping just fine though.

My vet is on maternity leave and I'm not currently treating Livingston. When the vet is back we'll get a culture to see what the discharge is sensitive to and find him a new med.

(The good news is our vet bill is going DOWN instead of UP for the first time since we got Livingston.)

Our little girl was sneezing and had white discharge for the longest time. The one vet we saw thought it was Pasturella and put her on Baytril (50mg) for 6 months with very little change. When we were referred to a different vet he decided it was Bordetella and as she hit the one year mark it suddenly disappeared and never came back!:shock:

Not to say this is what your little one has...just a little expert from my "panicked Mom" list! We were so worried we would lose her since we didn't seem to be winning at all! They finally figured out what it was after having to do a deep nasal swab...which Is wear I hope to never have to see or put my bunns through again!

Hope your little one feels better soon!:)

Latest posts

Back