Snuggy has another UTI

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuggys Mom

Reaction score
Snuggy had a UTI a little over a year ago, and it looks like she has another one.

She's spending a lot of time in the litter box, straining, I think and she's gone outside the box a couple of times, which she never ever does.

Her urine is very dark and concentrated. The vet gave her Baytril last time, so I'm starting her on a 10-day round tonight.

Wish us luck.

Poor girl is still grieving and now she's sick. Bless her heart.

Uh, bless your heart too! You have had so much trouble lately, and I'm so sorry Laura. You certainly don't deserve this.

Snuggy, take your medicine like a good girl and get better real soon, ok? We love you sweetheart!

Take care Laura, and keep us updated;). *Hugs*

Snuggy is good about taking her meds. She's great compared to the new male I got (Cooper). He's HORRIBLE. It always takes two people to get his meds down. Thank goodness tonight is his last night!

I got Cooper last Saturday in hopes of eventually bonding him and Snuggy. Doodle had posted about him in the rescue me section. I put up a couple of pics in my home thread.

:)

Ah, thanks. I don't get into the rescue me section too often, my fault.

Congrats! I'm glad you got another even though you were getting set against it:D.

Hi,

Has a urinalysis been performed? A procedure called "cystocentesis" may be required to get a good urine sample. This is a procedure in which a small needle is inserted thru the abdominal cavity and extracts urine directly from the bladder. With repeat UTIs, it is essential to determine exactly what bacteria is present. There are quite a few bacteria (including some anaerobic bugs) that will not respond to Baytril (in fact, we rarely use Baytril in rabbits now due to resistant bacteria). We have also found that Baytril is more effectivewhen injected rather than administered orally (mayhave something to do with the pH in thegut).And we are also finding that Baytril seems to lose some of it's punch each time it is used with the same rabbit. Has any radiologybeen performed to determine if there is sludge/stone issues? A complete blood panel would also be good to see to check renal values. Repeat UTIs are also an early sign of EC due to kidney damage from shedding spores. If a blood panel finds renal issues, I would think an EC titer would be in order. I don't think hydration can be stressed enough. Lots of fluids are in order....by SQ or IV if you have that capability. Aggressive pain meds should be used not only to relieve the discomfort but it will also allow the urinary passages to relax.

Randy

Thanks, Randy. Yes, all of the tests you mentioned were performed. They found crystals in her urine.

She's only had one UTI before and only been on Baytril once before. They didn't recommend pain meds, but I have Metacam I can give her.

If she's not showing improvement in a couple of days, I will take her back to the vet.

Awwwww Snuggy... :pet:

The stress may have brought her defenses down a few notches, poor girl.

Obviously get her drinking as much as you can. The favourite around here is diluted carrot juice.

getwellsoonsc.gif

sas

Snuggy is better. She's not lingering in the litter box anymore. I just can't get her to drink enough.

I have two different types of bottles in her cage as well as a bowl and I'm still having to syringe water into her. I can only get about two CC's in her at a time, but it's better than nothing.

I'm sure she is plotting my demise. I wish I could make her understand I'm only trying to help her.

I am taking Cooper to the vet Saturday. His ear doesn't seem to be getting any better. I'm beginning to think I'm cursed.

Ohhhh Snuggy girl. Quit making your momma work so hard! Hugs to you Laura and Snuggy's cousin Wesley sends some face licks.

I wonder if flavoring her water will make her drink more? Hmmm....

Different temperatures?

Latest posts

Back