Snuggles' spay bill and a question, please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynda

Reaction score
Ovariohysterectomy...$114.50

Pain management and care...$25.00

Technician daily nursing care...$7.00

Hazardous waste disposal...$3.00

Nail trim....free

Total...............................$149.50

*They used glue, not stitches*

I haven't looked at the incision yet....I'll check it tomorrow (and every day after, of course).

Paper says, "She may be groggy from the anesthesia and medications weadministered for pain"......."Some animals can be groggy for 24hours".....

She's been home about 2 hrs and hasn't eaten yet. I know she's had ahard day and is stressed and drugged but how long doI waitbefore I start worrying?

Just took this pic.She's sitting up and looks pretty good to me.....whaddyathink?

snuggleshomepostop091305.jpg

I'd check it twice a day. Loki got staples andmanaged to pull them out, if I hadn't checked twice she would've goneto sleep with an open incision.

I'd encourage her to eat her hay and drink but it's still a littleearly to worry. A lot of people feel pretty crappy after surgery. Letthe pain killers kick in and the anesthesia to wear off.

I would keep a close eye on the incision, just to be on the safe side.

If she's not eating by tomorrow morning, and you can't get her to eatanything at all, then I would force feed her. It sounds worse than itactually is, but as you know it's important that they eat, anythinglonger than 24 hours is bad news.

We had to do it with Abby. What we did was swaddle her gently in atowel and fed her a mix of pellets, water, oats and pumpkinwitha baby syringe. (I ground them all up in my mortal andpestle.) I would also give her two syringes of just water. She did verywell with this process. We also gave her a baby aspirin the firstnight, as she was huddled in the corner grinding her teeth, which is asign of being in pain.

Admittedly, with us, it was the worse castscenario.Ihaven't heard of anyone else here having as hard a timewitha spay as we did.

Wouldn't hurt to tempt her with some of herfavorites..if she likes it..parsley too, it can help to stimulate theappetite. If you have some NutriCal on hand, a bit of thatmight be a good idea as well.

If she hasn't eaten by tomorrow morning sheneeds to go back to the vet for IV fluids. That will probablyperk her up. Bunny went through the same thing. Itis not common for them not to eat.

Ed

Almost midnight. She's still turning her nose upat food but she's moving around in her cage. She finally got tired ofme "poking" her face withthe dropper of waterandtook a (very) small drink from the bottle.

She peed a little too!

I'll probably stay up with hermost of the night (I can napwhile the kids are in school), but my mommy gut is telling me she'll beok;)

Going on 2am now. Justtook a couple nibbles of parsley and a small drink.

Yes, I am holding the food for her.....rubbing it on her mouth, etc and basically driving her nuts.LOL

I don't want tobug too much/often in caseshe'snauseous or something. I'll try again between 3-4 then again at6before the kids get up for school.

Just saw her take a drink! Yay:)

We have poop!

Small and not a whole lot, but there was some this morning both in and around the litter box.

Couldn't get a good look at the incision.....she struggled so much:(

I'm going to call the vet.....maybe she can show me a more struggle-free way.

She has plenty of time, I'm sure. Afterall, my pets are her only patients, right!?:p

If she pooped, that's a good sign her system ismoving. :) And hey, don't feel bad, Dave and I stayed up all night withAbby too.

Sounds like she's doing well, a bit sore and not herself perhaps, but that's to be expected.

Poor Punkin, but like Stephanie said, at leasther systems moving, although quite sure she's notcomfortable. Poor little baby.

The breakdown of your bill was very interesting, Lynda. Thank you for sharing that.

Snuggles will be in my thoughts and prayers.

:pray:

-Carolyn

Vet said come right over. Guess we really are her only patients. Ok, I'll be "fair"......we're her favorites:D

Snuggles kickedand struggled with thevet same as with me. Vet said it's not really enough to open theincision, so Ifeel better about that.

What I thought looked like a lump or swelling is "just" fat.

The vet's around the corner...only 5-10 minutes...shesaidthey could check her every day if I want tobringSnuggles in.Maybe Friday just to double checkmyself before the weekend....we'll see.

Thanks, Carolyn....I posted the bill in case anyone wanted to compareprices, etc.

Does a paranoid/over-protective mommy heart good to know you're all here. Thank you!!:D

You can force feed parsley by taking the stemand pushing it in the mouth, they have to chew. It workedreal well with Mini when she was sick.

Ed

My goodness, I'm glad the spaying was part ofthe package when I adopted the girls! ($25 per bunny. Adoption and spayfee)I just spent $230.00 on my dog's vet bills yesterday.(Vaccinations, heartworm medication, flea/tick preventatives, earcleaner)

I hope Snuggles makes a quick recovery. And keep eating those pellets!

I have to say, the picture above shows me youkeep her cage clean very well. I would be surprised to hearof an infection. I'm glad you don't have litter across theentire cage. I would tell anyone to try to have the floorslitter free after a surgery. Keeps the cuts cleaner.

*edit* I just love the coloring on her ears. It looks so neat.

Back