Snuffles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Injectable penicillin (bicillin) and azithromycin orally are a better way to go with this. Enrofloxicin may give you a temporary fix, however, usually the infection will return.

Injectable bicillin by itself is a better option than enrofloxicinalone
Can you elaborate on your problem?

There was a case of Snuffles at the fair this year, the infected animal was sent home. However when I got my animals home I realized one of my harlequins was showin signs: Sneezing, clear discharge, and matted fur on the inside of the front legs. I didn't think much of it that night so I took him out of the barn and decided to just check in the morning. This morning the discharge has changed to white and he definatly sounds stuffed up and sneezy. So, my conclusion is nothing other than snuffles.
I have checked all the other rabbits and no others are showing any signs.

I have some left over enrofloxacin, but no enough to thoroughly treat or prevent anyway.
The only injectable stuff I have is for horses. Probably not a good combination.

You can buy bicillin in the refrigerated section of farm /fleet ; it is marketed for cattle . it comes under different trade names ( Dura-pen, Duo-pen, twin pen ); On the back of the bottle the label will read 150,00 u procaine G penicillin and 150,000 u Benzathine g pencillin)

You would need to get a solution like lactated ringers or sterile water to mix with the drug before injecting subcutaneously . About the only place that you can get a solution like that is from a vet;'s office.

you would also need to get needles and syringes

Might be worth it to take your one rabbit to the vet if you have a rabbit knowledgeable vet in your area.

I would do the penicillin as well for ease of obtaining it. We really prefer that you not call it "snuffles". It's an upper respiratory infection. The term snuffles is from a time when people didn't properly understand rabbit medicine. Also, the best way to make sure your other rabbits don't get it is to keep them stress-free. It's not really communicable but will develop into a full infection if they're under stress.

Yes, I understand that most people don't like when you call it 'snufffles'. But what I called it isn't really the problem.

But thanks for the advice on the other rabbits. =]

Back