Snuffles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluepez

Reaction score
SO curious. I have my rabbit been treating for three days with the Baytril I got from the vet. He is sneezing on occasion and you can hear him breathing.

SO with this treatment....what is the likelyhood he will pull thru this and get rid of the snuffle signs?

He is a registered 2 leg buck..and I really do not want to lose him.

Thanks

If the bacteria in his body is not resistant to baytril, if the dosage is correct, if you have been instructed to keep him on the drug for several weeks and he has not been treated multiple times before with baytril for the same disorder then he could show a cessation of symptoms. If you don't see any improvement within the next day or so then I would ask for another drug.

Even injectable baytril (I have only given it IM and never subq ) seems to work more efficiently in rabbits than the oral.

Better drugs are oral zithromax, injectable Convenia (dosed differently than for cats and dogs), injectable penicllin (preferably bicillin),Zeniquin (marbofloxicin)or even oral chlorampenical.

my experience is thatbaytril often works for a URI a few times but the infections will return. Many of the bacteria afflicting rabbits have developed resistance to baytril from overprescribing and over use.

there is no reason for your bun to remain sick if you get the right antibiotic

Do u think I should give what the vet says for two weeks treatment them if not better take him back for re evaluation and then ill suggest thoses?

So curious. I understand that Snuffles is highly contagious. Is it spread by the mucous and sneezing? The fur ( say if you pick them up and the fur goes a flying)...

I ask because my buck i have isolated in the garage...about 8 feet away I have 2 other baby bunnies in cages ( till they are ready to go out).

I could move him little further away so he would be about 12-16feet...but what you think.
He has been on the Baytril ( pill form I crush into a banana) for 5 days. At what time do you notice an improvement on average?

TBH most bunnies have already been exposed to the bacteria that frequently cause "snuffles", and have them present in their systems at low levels. Some kind of stressor usually leads to the immune system being compromised, which allows the bacteria to grow and cause an active infection. Oftentimes, the stressor is moving, changes in weather, molting, but probably more often than not it is a virus. It's common in rabbits for a virus to lead to bacterial infection, so quickly that you don't even see the symptoms that are unique to the virus. If a virus led to the buck coming down with an upper respiratory infection, it could easily spread, probably through particles of mucus in the air. I would give the babies the extra distance, mostly because they are babies, which have weaker immune systems, and you presumably don't know what caused him to come down the the URI in the first place, unless you know he's been under stress lately due to going to a show, weather changes, etc.

I would expect to see improvement within a week, although you should give at least 14 days of antibiotics.

Yes he came down to me from Canada about amonth ago. So I am thinking it was that.

I have moved him away from the kits.
Curious, I am reading..that if I treat him and surpress the infection..that he is now a permnant carrier and could spread it to other rabbits even without showing signs..so I have read people just cull right away to remove the weakness from the herd...and that he could spread it even when he is treated and fine.
Is this true? Will he forever be a threat to my herd?
I am so confused. LOL

Yes, he will always have the bacteria that's causing the infection in his system. However, every bunny (with the exception of a few lab bunnies) already carries these bacteria, so there is no reason to cull him.

Latest posts

Back