Snuffles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisak39

Reaction score
Hi, I got a new bun today that has a serious snow white, thick discharge coming from her nose. She has also sneezed a few times and she seems to me to be breathing a little heavier that she should be. She was not at all interested in her food, but that could be from the traveling to get here/the new place. Also, she traveled in a car with 5 other rabbits. They were all in boxes, but is there a danger to the other's? She is isolated, did not go into my rabbitry, but I am still concerned for the other bun's. Could anyone who has actually seen snuffles (all I have done is read about it) tell me what it looks like? All help is greatly appreciated.
Lisa

"Snuffles" is simply a generic term for "cold symptoms" (snotty nose). There are many causes that require different treatment - best to get an accurate diagnosis from the vet. Depending on the pathogen, the rabbit couldbe contagious.

Pam

Wow Lisa, you have to be very careful. Any thick white discharge is suspect of a Upper respritory infection (possibly pasturella). Could be very contagious to your other bunnies. Keep that rabbit seperate, feed and water her last. Wash your hands after handling or being around her. Take her to the vet ASAP. The only way to know for sure is for the vet to do a culture of the mucous. The vet can decide how to treat the infection after you know what you're dealing with.

And yes, the other bunnies that rode in the car could have been exposed. They may or may notdevelopsymptoms. I wouldn't put them in the barn yet either.

I was just reading this to see the replies. I myself have wondered is any snot safe? I have overheard so many people giving advice on "snuffles" that I have been so confused. I never know what to tell people who ask me about it, I say I do not know anything about it - which I do not.

So my questions are -

Is any snot ever safe? (as in any color)

Is it treatable? (or like I have heard, you can only hide it for a while?)

If anyone knows about it, I would like to know so that when pet owners come to me with these kinds of questions I would have so sort of advice and answer.

RunnyBabbitRabbitry wrote:
I was just reading this to see the replies. I myself have wondered is any snot safe? I have overheard so many people giving advice on "snuffles" that I have been so confused. I never know what to tell people who ask me about it, I say I do not know anything about it - which I do not.

So my questions are -

Is any snot ever safe? (as in any color)

Is it treatable? (or like I have heard, you can only hide it for a while?)

If anyone knows about it, I would like to know so that when pet owners come to me with these kinds of questions I would have so sort of advice and answer.

Clear is normally fine, usually can be an allergy. Not always though. Any colored discharge should be seen by a rabbit savvy vet. Here is a link from our library regarding respiratory infections.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=16807&forum_id=10

Latest posts

Back