Snuffles? Sneeze? Need expertise/experienced rabbit people!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrichard2

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to the forums. I find the information here so useful.

I wanted to ask about sneezing. I have three pet rabbits. Two Netherland Dwarfs and a French Lop. I got my dwarfs from a registered breeder and the French Lop from an unregistered breeder. I brought the Lop home and found he had worms and a sneeze. I cleared the worms with Panacur
from the vet, but he continues to have a sneeze and the occasional ear shake.
I looked these symptoms up and saw that it may be snuffles.
Additionally, he used to live outside at the breeders and now he lives inside. I’m wondering if this is a factor that could cause the disease to flare up, or possibly a change in the air could result in a sneeze? Although, this may be wishful thinking.
He is active. Eating very well, drinking water. Zoomies and binkies morning and night. He is 4 and a half months old. I worry about giving him antibiotics from the vet as I know it can be hard on their gut flora.
Does anyone have any suggestions, solutions, or theories? I wanted to ask the forum before I go to the vet.ADA91787-16EC-4386-8A22-BF027E4C1134.jpeg

Snuffles is an umbrella term that is non-specific and is often used to express that a rabbit is sneezing, with little specifics on the cause: Snuffles - WabbitWiki

Many rabbits have and do well on antibiotics to treat upper respiratory infections (URI). If your rabbit is showing symptoms of a URI, it is recommended to have him assessed by a rabbit-savvy vet to confirm and also guide treatment. There are many rabbit-safe antibiotics and if significant GI distress is identified, switching to a different one is possible. Personally, I've found it's uncommon for a rabbit to have significant side effects to a known, rabbit-safe medication for URI treatment, such as Baytril or Bactrim.

Snuffles is an umbrella term that is non-specific and is often used to express that a rabbit is sneezing, with little specifics on the cause: Snuffles - WabbitWiki

Many rabbits have and do well on antibiotics to treat upper respiratory infections (URI). If your rabbit is showing symptoms of a URI, it is recommended to have him assessed by a rabbit-savvy vet to confirm and also guide treatment. There are many rabbit-safe antibiotics and if significant GI distress is identified, switching to a different one is possible. Personally, I've found it's uncommon for a rabbit to have significant side effects to a known, rabbit-safe medication for URI treatment, such as Baytril or Bactrim.
Alright, Thank you @John Wick ! I feel better hearing that you personally haven’t found many side effects. I called the vet.

A general rule of thumb is that if the discharge from the nose is milky or colored, then an infection is present. If the discharge is clear, then it is likely just a tickle, or something irritating-- perhaps a piece of hay or dust or fur in the nose.

A general rule of thumb is that if the discharge from the nose is milky or colored, then an infection is present. If the discharge is clear, then it is likely just a tickle, or something irritating-- perhaps a piece of hay or dust or fur in the nose.
Hmm, ok. I haven’t seen any milky discharge. However, he’s been sneezing every day so far. I wondered if it was because he came inside and the hay dust was bugging him? I hope this is all it is.

Latest posts

Back