Snuffles/pasturella - going to the vet at 6

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolevins

Reaction score
Maybe, some of you read my thread in the Infirmary about Jenni sneezing.
She has no discharge - better safe than sorry!!

She was seperated from Oreo the other day until she is treated. I was suggested that I mention to the vet about Zithromaz and Convenia, so that's what I will do.

She was on a really low dose(0.4mls) of Baytril in October(?), so I think she should be put on a much higher dose or else on a different drug. She was given a needle but I didnt ask what it was. If jenni is givin a needle again tonight, I will not forget to ask!! :)

So, later tonight I will reply on this thread about how she is
:wave:

Zithromax is very effective against pasteurella....as of now. I have never used Zithromax and Convenia together (I have with penicillin) but it would certainly give good coverage. Dosing for both those drugs are different than they arefor other species....Zithromax is dosed at a higher dose and Convenia is administered as per label ....just more often than dogs or cats get.

Randy

Jenni was givin 5 small round white tablets(he didnt tell me what they are). I am to break them in half and crush one half and give half once a day

Her conjuctivitis is gone :)

She was 1kg last month, and she gained 1.6kg. Is 2.6 kg a good weight? She is about the size of a dutch rabbit..

So she is on half a tablet a day, for 10 days (though he gave us 6 tablets just incase!

It's illegal here in the US to give meds without a label. I would be very concerned about exactly what they are. And I would find out what they are before I gave any of them to your rabbit. There are lots of small white pills and many of them are unsafe for rabbits.

Randy

He is a vet for over 30 years or something like that. The meds were labeled on the container he took them out of, and he wrote it down on the card (which they store in the vet)

All medication I have ever recieved from a vet, has been put in a small container for me to take home, however it has always had a label on it saying what it is, who it is for, when it expires and the dosage.

The vet should have put the pills in a pill container for you with a label on it saying what it is, and how to use it.

Can you call the vet and get the name of the medication?

-Dawn

Well...just because he has been a vet for over thirty years doesn't mean he is rabbit savvy. Very few older vets truly have much training or experience in rabbits.....no flaming intended and I hope I am totally wrong. But unlabeled drugs are just plain unprofessional and dangerous.

Randy

Do you think I should ring the vet on Thursday?

He is experienced with rabbits, and his rabbit "patients" :)P) have gotten through their sickness'....

Hi, I too am always given a seperate bottle with a lable of what the drug is and so on...I would LOVE to know what it is just for an FYI as I am fighting a game of snuffles myself (when I can afford the swab I am going to have it done)...they wat $125 for it. But if this med works I would love to know what it is :) My buns are on Azithromycin and so far I have seen improvement after 17 days but still sneezing :(

Back