Snuffles or something else?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amame

Reaction score
For almost 2 years now my rabbit Maria has been to 4 vets. One insisted it was a tear duct issue, one other thought it may be a tooth issue (but her teeth or fine), one other gave her medicine and she seemed better then not so much, last one thinks its snuffles, but I'm not sure it is.
This problem first occurred at my parent house, in their basement.Turned out they had mold! Then the apartment I moved in shortly after had a very bad mildew damp problem, and lastly, my current apartment had mild and may still have some because I do not think it had been fully taken care of. So glad to be moving out! Even I became sick at times..
Maria's symptoms: sneezing ( not too often when on medication), discharge from her right eye and when she sleeps, she makes noises and moves a little like she's dreaming. Everything else is normal..
She has had a deep culture, given two antibiotics and eyedrops. I'm going to try the Baytril again in a cleaner environment and see what happens.
I have another bun, Thumper, who has been with Maria almost 4 years and hasn't had any symptoms,

I just want to know some others thoughts.. This is very stressful.

Snuffles typically presents with snot that isn't clear. You didn't mention if she had this. It's also contagious, so I would think that if that's what she had your other rabbit would've gotten it by now. Have they taken a head x-ray yet? Tearing from her eye might indicate a tooth with an overgrown root...that's what the problem was with one of our rabbits.

Unfortunately respiratory disease in rabbits can be very difficult to manage. One of my own rabbits sneezes still despite having been on months of antibiotics following a culture. My other rabbit had a culture as soon as he started sneezing and his condition resolved after just a month of antibiotics. I suspect my chronic sneezer, Cricket, has some scar tissue resulting from her respiratory infection but at this point I'd require a CT for further diagnostics and there would not likely be any successful treatment.
Off my personal tangent, you may be dealing with a chronic problem and she may never get completely better. I'm glad to see a culture has been done but you may want to repeat the culture before starting her back on an antibiotic (she may have developed resistance to her previous antibiotic).

I apologize, she use to have snot but I haven't seen any in awhile.. It was not is not clear, was a thick milky discharge like the stuff from her right eye.

Should I do the X-ray or CT scan? or both? I do not want to overwhelm her..

I apologize, she use to have snot but I haven't seen any in awhile.. It was not is not clear, was a thick milky discharge like the stuff from her right eye.

If that's the case then she may have snuffles. It's a chronic condition that usually gets worse over time. It may be that your other rabbit has a strong enough immune system to not have symptoms, yet.

If that's the case then she may have snuffles. It's a chronic condition that usually gets worse over time. It may be that your other rabbit has a strong enough immune system to not have symptoms.

In terms of x-ray vs. CT- x-rays are MUCH cheaper most places. CT's for pets are VERY hard to find (most often found in teaching hospitals). However- in terms of diagnostic tools- CT's are just a bunch of x-rays taken mm apart and build a 3D picture of your animal (inside and out). It's sort of like how a slice of bread (one x-ray) makes up a 3D loaf (the CT). If that makes any sense.

In terms of x-ray vs. CT- x-rays are MUCH cheaper most places. CT's for pets are VERY hard to find (most often found in teaching hospitals). However- in terms of diagnostic tools- CT's are just a bunch of x-rays taken mm apart and build a 3D picture of your animal (inside and out). It's sort of like how a slice of bread (one x-ray) makes up a 3D loaf (the CT). If that makes any sense.
It makes since, thank you.

Back