snuffles??? or allergies pic's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magic_girl

Reaction score
hi i was just wondering if peter has snuffles his nose is just a little runny my vet don't treat rabbits is it the snuffles or just allergies only heard him sneeze 2 time's i don't know what to do it clear water his other owner used to feed him grass and dandelions if he dose have the snuffels what can i treat him with? he's in a cage by him self away from the other rabbit's

33cb1pt.jpg

pic 1

2e0twk7.jpg

pic 2

It looks like a little white discharge

if it just stated today give it a day. oftentimes a rabbit's own immune system can work to keep the (latent bacterias known as pasturella) under control. In other words the rabbit will fight the infection himself if it is minor.
if it continues orgrows worse he should be seen by a vet and probably be given antibiotics.

Snuffles isn't really the name for the disease. It's an upper respiratory infection usually caused by the bacteria pasturella. Pasturella is always present in a rabbit's system, but the immune system keeps it in check so that there isn't an active infection. If he has been stressed out lately, it could have become an active infection.

The best way to treat it is to have a vet swab the mucus and grow the bacteria on a plate. They then try to kill it on the plate by adding different kinds of antibiotics. This is called a culture and sensitivity test. The antibiotic that succeeds at killing the bacteria on the plate will be prescribed to your bunny. It's really hard to treat this any other way, as many strains of pasturella are resistant to many common antibiotics, and the sensitive GI tract of a rabbit can have real problems with some antibiotics.

It may just be allergies, but that is usually a clear mucus discharge, not one that is whitish. If it sticks around for a few days, I'd take him in to a rabbit vet. It's really the best and only thing you can do.

i just had him for 7 days it was hot out when i got him .he lived in a hutch with a box on the back of the hutch at my place he stayed in a wire cage.he looked just fine when i got him i bought a mini lop at the same place the lop is ok it's not yellow little bit of clear snot but not alot could it be cause by dust in the hay if soo no more hay for him or others.

Umm, don't want to be critical here, but your rabbits should have hay at all times. You need to find a different hay supplier or get some of the dust out if you can. Their GI tracts aren't going to be work correctly without hay.

The snot looks a bit white to me, not clear. If you find that it's clear it could be allergies. If it remains there for 2-3 more days, a vet check is needed, as I would expect it is due to an infection.

Latest posts

Back