snowball needs incisors removed what to do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloe

Reaction score
I bought a bunny in May that was probably 4-6 weeks old pet store said they didin't know. She is our 2nd bunny the first one passed away about 15 mo ago and my daughter was 2 at the time. We had bunnbunn before my daughter so she had been use to a bunny. So needless to say kept asking about bunnbunn and for another one. We got snowball a white netherland dwarf to replace bunnbunn for her and I really wanted another one. Since we've had snowball have been to vet three times with incisors being clipped twice so far. Was told that need to get her incisors removed or put her to sleep with an estimate of $1500 dollars by the vet to get it done. I found another vet without experience in the procedure willing to do it for$5-600. But not sure what I should do I saw on another site a lady who had great experience with bunny after teeth removal but she only paid $250 for removal and being neutered. Just nervous because both vets say very delicate procedure and risky. Snowball is the friendliest bunny I have ever seen so loving and affectionate so don't want to give up on her yet don't want to be stupid either. I also feeel result affects not just bunny and me. I also have my now two daughters (a 3 and 1 year old)and daycare kids that have spent the last few months with snowball. What to do? I guess KS isn't a good place to own a bunny with health problems unless your rich.

My Ivory has bad teeth too. She gets hers trimmed every month for about $50. It is very easy on her and she doesnt have to be sedated. I think if you cant afford to have them removed, just keep getting them trimmed. She will eventually get used to the procedure and it wont be a big deal.

My dad used to volunteerat a rescue where many rabbits had their front teeth removed due to mallocullision (sp?). All of the bunnies survived the surgery perfectly well and they continued on to have healthy, normal lives. The veggies need to be chopped up finely, but besides that, they were all happy.

I would say that it would be worth getting the surgery done- Snowball would be a much happier bunny, and a bonus is that he can't chew furniture or cords in your house :D As for which vet to go to, I'm not sure. What did the inexperienced vet say about it? It is important to make sure the bunny has the right kind/ammount of anesthesia. Hopefully that vet read up a lot about the procedure? If you feel comfortable, you could probably go to that vet if money is an issue. The experienced vet would be better, but I can understand not wanting or being able to spend that much.

One vet is willing to continue to trim them for $75 a month the other vet is not willing to continue to do that. They both will put her to sleep for clippings not willing to clip other wise they say. The vet that isn't willing to said putting the bunny to sleep once a month is not good for her health. So I don't know. If clipped in 10 months would add up to cost of just getting the procedur done at the one vet. But not sure about the none experience in this procedure and the delicate alot could go wrong part they say.

I think that if you think about it, you would save a lot of money in the long run just getting the teeth removed by the experienced vet. Just think, with monthly clippings, especially if the rabbit has to be anesthetized each time, that would get expensive, and stressful for poor Snowball. But, if you just get the teeth removed by the experienced vet, you would solve the problem once and for all. With the inexperienced vet, any problems following the surgery would probably end up costing just as much as the other vet anyways, or worse, you could lose the little dear during the surgery. It's a big risk to go that way.

It doesnt necessarily have to be stressful for a trim. Like I said, Ivory lets them do it while awake. Done in minutes. Just call around for the best vet and prices to do trimming. For me, the cost of removal is out of the question. I just dont have that much at a time. But I can afford the $50 a month.

Ouch that's expensive! An insissor removal is nomore risky than a neuter or any general aneathetic and should costabout the same as a neuter - maybe slightly more. I'm in the UK butwouldn't expect to get charged anything over £100 ($200) probablycloser to half that.

Does your rabbit have an aneasthetic when they are trimmed? $75 seems alot for what should be a 5 minute job done whilst they're awake. ThoughI guess you might have a consultation charge in that. Here I'd payabout £15 ($30) tops.

Do you have any rescues near you that deal with rabbits? That's a goodway to find an experienced vet that doesn't tend to be really expensive.

Tamsin

This is one moment I wish I lived in the UK.Decision would be easy then I would do it ina heart beat inthat case. I do not know of any rescue missions maybe if I look at twobigger cities further down the road about 3 hr. drive either way fromme maybe there is one somewhere out there I don't know about. Thereisn't much that I can find in experience with bunnies vets around mebesides the Kstate Veterinary hospital that wants the $1500 but theyare a teaching vets hospital. (They say that's why it's so expense andthe rarity of bunny as pets around here. ) Maybe the that this is sucha delicate procedure is more of the rarity issue and inexperience thenand if these vets were in the UK doing the procedure more often maybeit would be no big deal to them to and cost reasonable then.

No he wasn't and he'd be only an hr. away fromhere maybe I can try contacting him for advice and price. I'll callinfo to find number. Thanks.

I called the vet in Topeka and was able to talkto him. He wasn't that encouraging on sucess of procedure either butfeels if only option then should do it and give the bunny a chance. Isnot willing to give exact quote or say he will even do it withoutlooking at bunny first. (But said if willing to do itprobably around $300 maybe less.). He does not have experience inincisor extraction either he usually trims teeth and has removed somemolar teeth on bunnies before. So not sure if should take time (closemy daycare a few times) and gas to drive there to have him look thenagain to do procedure and possibly again to pick her up or not or ifshould just give the unexperienced vet that's local a chance at the5-600 quote. It's been 3 weeks now since her teeth were trimmed last soI had better hurry up and make a decision soon or take her in for onemore trim next week while continue to ponder.

Personally, I think getting the incisors removedwould be the best option, for both the bunny and your budget. If thatvet has experience with extracting rabbit teeth, that's also a goodsign, even if it's not incisors.If I were you, I would drivedown there, have the vet look at your bunny, and see what he says. Ifhe thinks the operation is needed andwill go fine, for $300,I'd go for it. It won't take long for trimmings to add up to that much,anyways. However, if he thinks she'll be fine with trimmings, I supposeyou could keep getting that done every month. I've personally metseveral bunnies with their incisors removed, and seen them before, andthey are just much better off now. They adjusted almost immediately!

I wouldn't be too panickedabout makingan appointment for trimming until she stops eating or shows signs ofdiscomfort. You should be able to just give her chopped orgrated veggies for a few days and soak the pellets in water to keep hereating. Probably worth getting her used to eating mushedpellets out of syringe (and it's worth buyinga good feedingsyringe), even if you have to spike them with a little banana orwhatever she likes. Something to experiment with, althoughnot for too long. Some will continue to wolf down the choppedfood, some won't.

Good luck!

sas

JimD wrote:
Just a thought....
If you'd be up to it, you could learn how to clip her teeth yourself.
It's not easy, but doable.
**I'm snowball's humandad. I told the wife to cut them herself. Shecalled me a "crazy nut"! She is good with herhands. But, she is afraid she'd hurt the bunny. Anythoughts/tips on getting her over that fear?

just to give you some idea of prices..my maxjust had one inscisor removed (mine probably cost more bc they also hadto remove an ascess) but it was 380.00 for just one.

Anyway, from what I know, everyone is giving you great advice. I wouldavoid the surgery if possible, but as a last resort Ive heard it can bevery successful.

If I were you, I would drive to see Dr. Cook and get his advice..if heseems to have more experience with rabbits. Another idea would be tocontact the vet that quoted you 1500 and see if you could makepayments..just tell them your financial situation, some will allow youto do this.

Good Luck to you and your little one :)

-Haley

Clipping them like that can do further damage.It's easy for the teeth to crack and splinter also the pressure candamage the roots - all leading to weaker/wonkier teeth and possibilityof root abcceses. If the vet's charging you £75 to do it that waythey're ripping you off.

Teeth should be burred using a proper dentistry tool - it's like anelectric file. It doesn't take any longer but you end up with a neatedge and the teeth don't shatter. The teeth are also more likely to beevenly cut so they wear better.

Tam

Snowball's teeth problem is one of the difficultones even Dr. Cook when I explained what was told and saw said after helooked he probably would agree with the need of anesthesia to clip. Thebottom ones do just grow up in front and if don't catch soon enoughwill cut her upper lip.The top ones curl back so if not caught soonenough would grow into rough of mouth so not just too long but curve totop ones. Was told the curve makes it a difficult clip.

I do not feel it would be safe for me to try trimming self ifthings didn't go right and I did crack the tooth or cause somethingworse to happen then would be emergency would need to take her to theanimal hospital (K-satate vet) and would be emergency then notscheduled procedure so probably would be more than the $1500 estimate.

I guess I need to just try the local vet hopefully he does a good joball goes well and we have a happy healthy bunny if not atleast I triedor try to get someone else to adopt her that can afford to get herteeth cared for. (I hate to break my daughter and my heart though.)Trying to help her atleast I can say we did are best and not feelguilty telling my daughter another bunnies gone again.

If I ever got a bunny in the future I do know will be sure it's over 14weeks when safe to detect the teeth problem by then have been told.Maybe even older to be on the safe side. I would not want to go throughthis again or put my kids through it again.

Where I live it is not easy to find a vet whowill grind teeth..they all want to clip. For awhile I was grinding thetop incisors of my holland lopx but last time he develloped aninfection in his upper lip (not major) that the vet thought might bedue to the vibrations of the electric nail file that I was using onhim. I just let her clip them for the 1st time and I amgiving him baytrol IM for the infection. He seems better. I wish I wasclose to someone (vet ) who had experience with a dremel drill

Well hopefully I have made the right decisiontook snowball to the local vet today for a clipping. And in 2-3 weekswill plan to have the removal of the incisors done by him. Will let youall know how it goes. Thanks for your thoughts hard to get anybody tohave any about rabbits. I guess not a very popular pet in the states.

Back