sniffles or alergic to something?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemish giant

Reaction score
Elvis has been having sneezing fits several times a day and I'm starting to really get worried. He does not have any discharge around his eyes or nose but he sneezes constantly and sometimes violently. What should I change in his setup or what should I observe to see if its the sniffles? Only thing I could think of allergies wise is his hay or horse bedding wood pellets.

Is there any other bedding in the cage? Also, what kind of wood are they[the wood stove pellets] ? It alway is good to be sure you're cleaning the litter out frequently as the ammonia can build up and damage their breathing. What types of hay? Are there lotsof little pieces/dust in there or his food?

Keep an eye out and if you notice discharge or anything abnormal like that, I would give the vet a call.

Is there anything particularly dusty? Perhaps you're at the end of a bag of pellets or litter, for example?
You can try changing the litter to see if that's causing the problem, but if that doesn't work then you'll probably need to see your vet.

The alfalfa hay does seem really dusty. The Bermuda hay isn't though so maybe I'll cut out the alfalfa hay. If that doesn't work I'll try changing the litter. I don't think its ammonia BC he's in a well ventalated room.

Latest posts

Back