Sneezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avarocks

Reaction score
Milo has been doing a fair bit of sneezing over the past few days. There is no discharge in his nose or eyes. He is eating and drinking normally and his energy and daily activities are all normal. I can't afford the vet. I am getting mixed information also. He's not congested, I am listening to his breathing regularly. The sneezing is it. All the information I am finding includes nose and/or eye discharge, which he hasn't got. He's still his same mischevious self and still eats a ton.

Milo is almost 2 years old. He's a mixed tortoise shell holland lop.

Sarah

This kind of symptom is hard because there are a lot of possible causes and you will have to go through them systematically to figure out what's wrong. I would first try changing the bedding in his litterbox and/or the brand or type of hay. Allergies to these things are rare, but they can be dusty like Crystal said. Our last box of Oxbow has been quite dusty. A humidifier in his room may help if it is particularly dry in your house (being winter).

If these do not solve the problem, see a vet. They may want to try antibiotics even though there is no visible discharge. Allergy meds can also be given, although allergies are incredibly rare in rabbits. Finally, if all else fails, have dental and chest x-rays taken to check for tooth roots or other lumps impinging on the nasal passages or deeper airways, or a lower respiratory infection.

avarocks wrote:
Milo has been doing a fair bit of sneezing over the past few days. There is no discharge in his nose or eyes. He is eating and drinking normally and his energy and daily activities are all normal. I can't afford the vet. I am getting mixed information also. He's not congested, I am listening to his breathing regularly. The sneezing is it. All the information I am finding includes nose and/or eye discharge, which he hasn't got. He's still his same mischevious self and still eats a ton.

Milo is almost 2 years old. He's a mixed tortoise shell holland lop.

Sarah
hi-sarah,-you sound like a good loving caregiver--sneezing could be bad,,but you just keep up the superb obsevation for other bad signs/-you might actually find an offending element-though herbivore,s are strictly grass/hay eaters-they do sneeze--sincerely james waller:wink

Do you have to use bedding? I would eliminate that if possible. Then, see what happens, if there is still some sneezing, then look at hay/pellets. One thing we do, is at the end of a pellet bag, I've been known to sift the remaining pellets to eliminate dust.

Back