Sneezing??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

star_girl

Reaction score
hello.

As some of you may know my two rabbits have had babies, very unexpectedly. Anyway since this has happened i have removed Freckles the male rabbit from the hutch into a temporary home. Since he has been moved he has started sort of sneezing. Im not sure how to explain it,but sneezing seems the best description. And a few times he seems to not be able to stop, he does it like 20 times in a row. Im a little worried because he is booked in to be neutered a week on weds, so im hoping this doesnt mean there is something wrong with him.
I have included a picture i took today, where his nose looks a little red.
If anyone can let me know what might be up with him and what i can do that would be great.
DSCN1394.jpg

Anna xxxxx

He was moved to a brand-new cage,right? What is it made of? If it's a hutch, it's possible that there's some fumes from the wood/paint/stain that's setting him off. Or maybe the litter is more dusty than normal? Try to get him as much ventilation as possible without letting him get too cold, as if I remember correct your buns are outside. If he's still having problems in a few days call the vet and ask his opinion.

Did you buy any new hay or food when you bought the cage?? It might just be dusty, as Naturestee suggested re: the litter. I would also have a look in his nose (as much as he'll let you and see if you can see if theres a piece of hay stuck in there that would make him sneeze.

My Basil had a little piece of hay (about this big: __) in his nose last week and he was sneezing like crazy!

The hutch is made of metal, and ive actually moved him inside now as it is getting really cold at nights now. I havn't changed the hay or anything from usual in his new house.

Ive got him out with me at the moment and he just had one of his sneezing sessions and lots of bogie like stuff came out his nose. but he doesnt seem to bothered.

Should i be worried, is there anything i can do, he doest appear to have anything up his nose.

Anna xxxxx

*sigh*

That really doesn't sound very good at all.

Any discharge from the nose is a really bad sign, and should get vet treatment asap.

You'll need to get a culture done to make sure it's not pasturella, and to check what antiboitics it's sensitive too. Or if a culture is not possible, get him on a bunny friendly antibiotic and hope that it works.

Do you have a bunny savvy vet in your area that you can go to?

--Dawn

i usually take my bunnys to a vets callled johnsons in wellingborough, its not on your list, but from past experience it seems to be a good vets.

what is a culture??

i take it a need to get him to the vets tomorrow morning? is there anything i can do in the mean time to help him??

thanks

anna xxxxx

oh there is one on the list thats near me

RUSHDEN

Anja @
Well Pets Veterinary Centre
165 Wellingborough Road
Rushden
NN10 9TA

would i be better to go there?

Anna xxxxx

I would say as soon as comfortable for you and bun. It's not an absolut emergancy, but a pressing problem.

A culture is just taking a sample of the snot and finding out what bacteria is up in his little nose.

What colour is the snot? Clear, white, yellow?

White/yellow are a sign of upper respitory infection or pasturella. The stress of moving could have triggered this attack. But that's good, because now you know he's sick.

I would use which ever vet you feel comfortable with. If you feel your current vet is rabbit savvy, then go ahead and use them. We always welcome new recommendations of rabbit savvy vets too.

And to help him out till he goes to a vets, a humidifier (steamer) with eucalyptus oil works well. If his nose gets really stuffed,you can try to gently suck some of the gunk out. I've used an eye dropper (probably not the best, but what I had on hand), but if you can get a hold of a suction bulb that would be best.

--Dawn

he is booked in at johnson vets to be neuterednext week, but i'm guessing that probably isn't a good idea if he is ill. what i think i will do is ring them tomorrow and explain the situation so they can unbook him for that and book him him to be checked out for this, and just pospone the neutering for now. i've never had any problem with the vets there, they always seem very confident is treating my rabbits and my guinea pigs and have never failed to make them better.

The snot is white, having him inside with me has made me realise how much he is actually sneezing, about every 15-20mins.

thanks for your advice

anna xxxxx

hey,

i will let you know. i'll ring them first thing and hopefully get him in nice and early.

hes just had one of his sneezing fits now, i feel so sorry for him, he outs his hands up to his face to try and stop but he just cant :(

although when hes not sneezing hes happy as ever, flopped out on the floor right now!

fingers crossed he will be ok.

also, i don't know what a humidifyer is...could some one enlighten me...?!

thanks again

Anna xxxxx

If the nasal discharge is white, you definitely need to get a culture. Thats never a good sign.

Poor little guy. Im so glad you caught this, hopefully you can get it taken care of.

I'll be praying for Freckles :pray:

Thank you for your concern:)

i've got him an appointment at 4.30 this afternoon.

he was sneezing a lot last night. i don't have a humidifyer but i got some euculiptus (or however its spelt!) oil type stuff and put it in some hot water in a bowl them put it next to his cage with a blanket over it and part of his cage so all the steam went in and that seemed to help him a little, he certainanly was sneezing less.

hopefully it won't be anything too bad and the vet will be able to give him something to make him better.

Thanks again everyone, i'll let you know how it goes

much love

anna xxxxx

Let us know how the appt goes!

If you need a humidifier, Vicks makes one that is very cheap! Run out to your local pharmacy (or even if you have something like Walmart near you) and look in where they sell Vicks Vapor rub and such. The Vicks Vaporizer was only 10.00 for me and it works great. It has a little place to put the medication.

I hope your little boy gets well soon!

I'm glad to here the Eucalyptus was helping.

The vet told me it helps loosen up the phlem, and makes it easier to pass. That way when they do sneeze, it's more effective. The bowl of hot water will work well when a proper humidifier is unavailable.

Let us know how the vet visit goes, and what medication he ends up getting.

--Dawn

hello...

Freckles has been to see the vet. he wasn't very well behaved, he jumped off the table, and we had to get the nurse in to help hold him while he was being checked over, and even with me and her both holding him it was difficult...but he is a man rabbit i suppose...!;)

the vet said he has a slight infection and gave him an injection and has given me Baytril 2.5% oral to be feed to him through a syringe once a day for 7 days. so hopefully that will do the trick!!

He does seem a lot less sneezy tonight and i will be using the steam again tonight for him.

hes quite happy now, after the ordeal at the vets, hoping round as usuall!!

thanks again for all the help!!

Anna xxxxx

Yay!! I'm so glad you where able to catch this early and nip it in the butt!!

Hopefully since it was caught early, it will be all gone after his antibiotics. But sometimes they can need a longer or repeated dosage to really get it all gone. It all depends on how sensitive this bacteria is to the baytril.

Do you know what was in the injection? I'm assuming some kind of high strenght anti-biotic.

Keep us updated on his progress please!

--Dawn

I hope all keeps going well with Freckles - he certainly is a cutie, and I feel for you both. Please let us know how he's doing.

Latest posts

Back