Sneezing w/ snot, what could it be?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverBirchRabbitry

Reaction score
- Location - Walsingham Ontario

- Description (Breed, color., weight) - Flemish Giant/Belgian Hare mix, Black Otter & about 7-9 lbs

- Age - 3 1/2 months

- spayed/neutered? - No

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? -Yes
- When did they last use their litterbox? - She is not litter trained
- Any unusual behavior? - Nope same old biting/scratching bunny

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? - Nope & Nope

- Diet - what does your bunny eat? - Rolling Acres Complete Rabbit Feed & Veggies& Grass every nowand then
- when and what did s/he eat last? - Today she hasn't had any problems eating or stopped eating

- movement - any unusual movements? - yes Is s/he hopping normally? - yes

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? - Nope

- has the rabbit been outdoors? - She lives in my rabbit barn

Well my big girl Nova, has been sneezing and has thick white snot every now and then. She does not have runny eyes and when she breaths it doesn't rattle. But you can hear her breathing, I'm not sure if the heat is the cause of that though.

Our barn is pretty dusty and so is our hay, but I don't know if that is the problem. You pick her up and she has a fit and starts sneezing and gets white snot.

The vet is not an option, does anyone have any suggestions as what medecine I can get for her.

If it's an allergy, try to either remove the offending issue....and that would most likely be the dusty hay (we have a sneezer due to dust) or move her to a filtered area. But since the discharge is white, that might be indicative of an infection. A vet visit with a culture and sensitivity should be in order to determine the cause if it is an infection and to identify the drug that should be used. Here in the US, most drugs that can effectively treat the most likely cause of a URI are available by prescription only.....not familiar with Canadian drug laws. Most URIs are caused by Pasteurella and my drug of choice with that pathogen is Zithromax. Without a vet, it would be unlikely you could get a drug to effectively treat a URI.

Randy

I can't add anything, but I agree that non-clear mucous is a vet issue. I guess you could try to treat with Pen G on your own, but that's not usually used for URIs, and the pathogen could very easily be resistant.

Latest posts

Back