Sneezing Question!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverBirchRabbitry

Reaction score
Alright, Dipper, my english lop buck has been sneezing lately and his breathing is kind of wheezy when I pick him up :/

My barn is dusty, mostly because of the hay.

There is no discharge, he has been acting fine aswell :)

But when I pick him up his breathing goes sort of wheezy :/

Is it the dust causing this?

It could be the dust, or it could be something else.
Did you check the inside of his "wrists"? Bunnies will wipe the discharge off their noses so you can't tell, but they'll get a buildup there from all that wiping.

One of my buns, Fiona, just has a chronic sneeze. She's been on antibiotics and even an anti-allergy medication, but nothing's helped and she hasn't passed it on to Timmy; I've never heard him sneeze. It's just something she does.

If your barn remainedEXACTLY the same with no more dust than it had before and your buck was not sneezing thenI wouldnot attribute the sneezing to dusty conditions ; If you can think of something new in the barn that possibly caused an allergy or more dust then it may be due to that.

I would be cautious in letting this go ... I have seen sneezing left undiagnosed turn into a virulent respiratory infection.
..particualry if he is wheezy ..suggesting something affecting his lungs.
he needs to see a vet
even if it is not an infecton antihistamine meds can beprescribed for allergies.

My Muffin's breathing changes like that when she's upset or scared, so it may be a breathing change because you're picking him up. I'd try to listen to his breathing while he's down on a surface and a bit more comfortable.

I agree that sneezing isn't good to just ignore, especially if there haven't been any environmental changes. It could be a tooth problem affecting the nasal passages too--and that could cause sneezing but not a lot of discharge.

Latest posts

Back