Sneezing bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny_truffles

Truffles and Mochi
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have (I think he's 10-12 weeks old) mixed Rex and Netherlands dwarf bunny that has sneeze attacks here and there. It doesn't look like he has discharge, but the area around his nose is light brown colored. I'm worried because we took him to the vet on 09/25 and he has been taking the antibiotic Sulfamethoxazole Trimethoprim for 1 week. He wasn't improving and I got him a refill on 10/05 for 1 week and was doing better for a day or two, but now he's back to sneezing again. I don't know what I should do--get another refill, a new prescription, or what? I think it could also be the pellet dust or hay dust? He's eating, drinking, and playing normally other than having a few sneeze attacks here and there. Please help, I'm concerned if this is just an allergy thing or something more serious? Any suggestions thank you!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Have you seen any white discharge or has it always been clear? Did the vet happen to do a culture and sensitivity to identify the bacteria and what antibiotic would be most effective? Did the vet examine the nose to see if there might be a foreign body causing the discharge and irritation?

If the discharge has always been clear, it is possible it is due to dust or allergies. You can try a different kind of hay to see if that helps. Some rabbits can also be allergic to certain kinds of litter. What type are you using now? Keeping the litter box clean can also help as it will reduce ammonia buildup which can cause irritation. Also household chemicals and cleaners can cause irritation for some rabbits.

If you have seen white discharge, then it is a bacterial infection. Since this antibiotic isn't proving effective you should ask your vet about trying a different one, maybe baytril, though there are others that may be more effective.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

Hi JBun, the discharge has always been clear, but when we first took him to the vet, his nose area was light green. But ever since, I've noticed it's been clear. She didn't do a culture and sensitivity, but she did examine his nose. I'll try a new hay to see if that's the problem, thanks! At first I used CareFresh litter and he was sneezing at this time, then switched to Kaytee last week. I also clean out his litter box/cage area every 2-3 days. I also clean his pee spots with white vinegar and water. I will contact the vet tomorrow to see if a another prescription will work, thanks so much for your input and help, it's greatly appreciated :)

I would ask about doing a culture and sensitivity to choose an appropriate antibiotic. I've seen respiratory cultures come back resistant to TMS and in my opinion, choosing the right antibiotic is definitely worth the money. Respiratory issues in rabbits can require antibiotics for months or even longer and can be very hard to get rid of. It's also worth looking at anything you may have changed in the environment (e.g. litter, hay, some sort of cleanser, etc.)

I would ask about doing a culture and sensitivity to choose an appropriate antibiotic. I've seen respiratory cultures come back resistant to TMS and in my opinion, choosing the right antibiotic is definitely worth the money. Respiratory issues in rabbits can require antibiotics for months or even longer and can be very hard to get rid of. It's also worth looking at anything you may have changed in the environment (e.g. litter, hay, some sort of cleanser, etc.)

:yeahthat:

Take it to the vet because it might have a cold which I have heard it bad for rabbits and could harm them xx

Sent from my iPod touch using Rabbit Forum

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice! I took Truffles back to the vet and she said he has allergies. We do not know what he has allergies to, either the litter, hay, or pellets and she suggested to change one of those once every week to see which one he's allergic to. He has not had any nasal discharge and actually has been sneezing less (but still has a sneeze attack every other day or so). He's still playing and eating well, so I guess we will see which one he's allergic to! :happyrabbit:

I'm glad it just seems to be allergies. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out what is causing it. Hay and litter seem to be common irritants. You may want to start with those. Changing pellets can be quite the ordeal though, since they have to be switched slowly to minimize digestive upset. So you may want to save those for last. You may just be able to stop them for a day or two to see if that clears up the sneezing. Then you wouldn't have to switch over to a completely different pellet. You'll just have to feed a lot more hay.

I have heard of buns being given antihistamines for allergies. If you can't find the culprit and would like to minimize the discharge and sneezing, you could talk to your vet about it.

Latest posts

Back