Sneezing bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAXX55

Reaction score
IMMEDIATE INFORMATION:

Location-Pennsylvania

Description (Breed, color, weight) Don't know Breed, maybe a mini rex cross? White w/brown spots. 4 -1/2 lbs

Age-5+ YEARS

Sex-FEMALE

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition: SHE SNEEZES AND THEN STARTS CHEWING AS IF THERE'S SOMETHING IN HER MOUTH.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal?YES
- when did they last use their litterbox?ABOUT EVERY 2 HRS.
- any unusual behavior? NO straining to pee? NO unusual litter habits? NONE
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? KITTY LITTER THAT'S UNDER HER CAGE-SHE DOES NOT TOUCH ANY LITTER.NO BEDDING-WE USE A FITTED CARPET CHANGED WEEKLY OR SOONER IF SOILED.

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? SPAYED JULY, 2010
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before?BEEN TO VET NOV. 8 2010. LAST SICKNESS WOULD BE HER HYSTERECTOMY JULY, 2010.
- is s/he on any medications? SHE WAS ON BAYTRIL NOV.8 2010 FOR TWO WEEKS. NOT ON ANY RIGHT NOW.

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? A MIXTURE OF L&M BRAND VITA-VITTLES AND OXBOW BASIC PELLETS,OXBOW TIMOTHY HAY, OXBOW ORCHARD GRASS.
- when and what did s/he eat last? MID-NIGHT. HER PELLETS.
- any changes in the way s/he eats? (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc) NOT EATING TIMOTHY AND ORCHARD AS MUCH AS SHE DID IN THE PAST. NO ODD CHEWING MOTIONS

Other

- movement - any unusual movements?NO. Is s/he hopping normally?YES.

- is the rabbit molting?VERY LITTLE.
- any weight loss? NO.
- any sign of drooling? NO.wet face? NO.
- runny eyes? NO.
- wet nose? NO.coughing? NO.sneezing?YES, SHE IS SNEEZING.
- is s/he breathing normally YES, BREATHING IS NORMAL.

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? NO.
- has the rabbit been outdoors? NO.
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill? NO.

I have a few questions;

I know a culture needs to be performed but what antibioticsare used for respiratory infections?

Antibiotics can give a bunny diarrhea so how soon should you give the bunny a probiotic? (i have benebac)

If there's no runny nose or watery eyes what other symptoms could there be forrespiratory infections?

If it is a respiratory infection, how long should it take to clear up?

I did have a few threads related to this thread trying to figure out my bunsactions. I thought I'd try this approachby filling out the history info.

After watching her like a hawk her main symptoms are sneezing.Then she seems like there's something in her mouth and starts licking and chewing it.

I will be going to the vet but I need to figure out how to get my bunny there without getting her so upset. Ithought she wouldn't make it home last visit with how stressful that day was.

Thanks.

Can a vet make a house call?

It may be best to just move to a stronger antibiotic rather than bothering with a culture, especially if she gets so scared on the vet trip. Options are oral: chloramphenicol and zithromax or injected: Convenia or bicillin (combination penicillin g procaine/benzathine). It's up to you which you think you can do. I personally think a course of zithromax is the best option IF getting her to the vet is not possible.

A respiratory infection should improve within 4 days on a new antibiotic. If there is no improvement, a different antibiotic should be tried or the mouth should be looked at again for the possibility of tooth/tongue problems.

I give probiotic every day when on an antibiotic--approx 1 gram--and I try to space it between doses. I would not give it within a 2hr window on either side of the antibiotic dose.

That would be nice if he'd make a house call but it would probably be $$$$$.

My vet gave me the very first appointment for Tues. a.m. This way bun doesn't have to sit and wait among all the otherpets there. (I think thatjust added to her being scared). I'm hoping thefirst appointment works for buns sake.

Thanks for the info on the meds. I will updatebun's conditionand the meds he prescribes.

Should I mention to him about the probiotic? He always suggests the yogurt thing.

Thanks for your input....

:pray:

ARgh a vet that says to give your bunny yogurt? That's a big no-no. They can't digest lactose. The probiotic is much better than yogurt because it is actually good for them and doesn't contain lactose which can cause gas and such.

Yep, yogart is old school way to treat probiotically. I also vote Zithromax for antibiotic, it's supposed to be the best for all resp infections and works most efficiently.;)

Well I guess it's some "good news". Had bun to the vet this a.m. The early appointment helped bun a little but she still gotupset. (but whose bun doesn't) There is NO Respiratory problems. He checked her over really good. Her lungs are clear, no drainage in her throat from what he could see, eyes look normal,no nose problems, ears were fineandeven that lump that was under her tongue went down and is almost gone.

The only thing he suggested for now was her environment. I always make sure I remove the dust from her hays and pellets. We have electric heat in the house and a oil stove in our rec room. Our air is very dry so we're using a humidifier where she is. Also her one carpet where shelayswhenout of her pen is rather old and under it carpet fibersaccumulated. I removed that. He did not rule out allergies but that's down the road should she shows other signs.

I will keep watching her very close for now...

Thanks again for everyones input and time.

Not a bad idea to reduce dust and humidify. If you can tell the air is dry, so can she. I hope the environment changes help, but if not you may need to look into tooth root problems, which need to be diagnosed from a dental x-ray.

Latest posts

Back