Sneezing and showing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redthunderrabbits

Reaction score
I read an article in a magazine about people at recent shows wiping their rabbits noses because there was discharge coming from them and the person was saying that people at shows were complaining to the judges and show SecretariesI was at a show recently in New York and noticed a few rabbits sneezing I posted a post on here about my rabbits sneezing a few weeks ago, I do not show my rabbits when there is any kind of sickness in my barn even if some of them aren't sneezing I don't want to risk anyone Else's rabbits. My question to you wonderful, helpfulpeopleis there a season where rabbits typically get "sick?" like humans cold/flu season? Also, I am I correct to assume I should not show any of my rabbits as long as 1 or 2 are sneezing? I am not new to breeding rabbits I am just learning still thank you!!

Runny noses are an upper respiratory infection. These are caused by bacteria that are always present in the system of a rabbit, such as pasturella (and others). The bacteria are normally kept at a very low level by the rabbits' immune systems. Stress, from seasons changing, a trip in the car (to the show, for instance), a stressful new environment (like at a show), or really any thing that can cause stress, will weaken the immune system. The weaker immune system allows the bacteria to grow and form into an active infection. This infection should be treated with antibiotics.

So, the real cause of the illness is stress. It is not contagious in the same way that human illnesses are contagious. However, being around a sick bunny can be stressful for the other bunnies.

My girl started sneezing yesterday. First I thought she got dust in her nose because she ate, drank and played normally, but till today she still keeps sneezing from time to time and this morning I noticed her nose is a bit wet. I'll call the vet now. :( Thank you for infos.

Latest posts

Back