Sneezing and red, raw nose - Vet prescribed Albon?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you to all for the replies and the great info!

I have a few tubes of the gel Bene Bac on hand in my rabbit first-aid kit. Is 1 gram/day enough during the course of the Pen-G treatment?

Are the tubes of Bene Bac still good once they have been first opened and some Bene Bac dispensed (not directly into the mouth of the rabbit)? I ask, as I have the large sized tubes and only used about 10 grams from it a few months ago. The expiration date is 2011.

Tonyshuman, myCadbury also thinks the Bene Bac is a treat. When he needs tohave some I mix it with the small amount of pellets he gets at night and he thinks it is just wonderful! Good thing he doesn't know its good for him! Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that this technique will also work for Congo.

That sounds fine, and the ones that have been opened are probably still ok too.

If/when you get the antibiotic, you don't want to give the probiotic and antibiotic at the same time. They should be given at least an hour apart. Otherwise they will be ineffective.

Don't know if you already knew this or not.

I just wanted to update this thread to say that Congo was diagnosed bythe 2nd vet as having rabbit syphilis. Congo had his 2nd pen-g shot yesterday and all of his spots have healed. He will have his 3rd and last shot next week.

Thank you again to everyone that provided information and support to me (and Congo!) You guys, and this forum, are wonderful and in some cases, a life saver!

Sweetie, thanks for the information regarding not giving the probiotic and antibiotic too close together. I did not know this previously. I'm grateful for all the information I have learned from everyone on this forum and look forward to continuing to learn so much more.

Congo also says Thank You - :bunnydance::bunnydance:

Good news that the problem has been diagnosed....however, I am concerned about the dosing protocol. Those of us that use "outside the box" type drugs dose Pen G differently. Apparently your vet may have accessed some out of date information. I dose Pen G by SQ once a day for 3 days and then every other day for 6 doses (or until the infections is resolved). The once a week thing is from the time when it was discovered that you could use injectible Penicillin in rabbits. We now know that we can be much more aggressive in dosing certain drugs. But by dosing only once a week, the levels of drugs in the blood (particularly the Benzathine component of the drug) never reaches working levels which leads to an incomplete resolution and the possibility of resistant bugs. I have dosed Pen Gevery day for weeks in treating anaerobic type abscesses. I urge you to discuss this with your vet to insure the infection is properly resolved.

Randy

Latest posts

Back