Smudges First Health Check-up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyKat

Reaction score
Smudge (7mth old Male Dwarf LionHead) has his first vet health check-up tomorrow, prior to getting him neutered.

Is there anything I should be asking them? Any good questions?

I am definitely going to see if they can help clip his nails, I have had him for just shy of a month now and have only been able to get the front claws done once. He is still very squeamish about being held, although he does not mind being petted and will sit on me.

The vet should check his eyes, ears, nose, and mouth with an otoscope. Feel along his spine and ribs. Check his legs, feet, and toes. Listen to his heart and lungs. Palpitate (squeeze) his abdomen. Check his genital area. Watch him hop around. Weigh him. And, ask you if he's eating/drinking, peeing/pooping okay, and how active he is. Talk about good nutrition. If he doesn't mention it, ask how you can help Smudge (cute name) recuperate from the neuter surgery.

Smudges Health check-up went really well.

The first shocker he is actually a she so uhmmmm I own I 7mth old Female Dwarf LionHead.

Weighing in today at 0.99kg or 2.2 lbs she is in great health. The vet checked her (that is so weird saying her) ears, eyes, nose, teeth, stomach, listened to her heart and checked everywhere else including her little tail.

With my assistance we got her front claws clipped, the back ones are too short to clip so she suggested I use and emery board.

She also advised against getting her fixed, since there are no other Rabbits in the house and she is such a small rabbit the risk of the surgery is just to big.

I have to chime in. Surgery on your little dwarf lionhead is risky but the benefits outweigh the risk. If she is in great health then she will pull through the surgery.

Sweetie is tiny and when I had her spayed, I was very scared that she wouldn't make it through the surgery, but she did. Sweetie was as tiny as your dwarf lionhead is, she is a tad bigger but not much.

I would get her spayed to reduce the risk of uterine cancer. Spaying her will reduce the risk of uterine cancer.

i've had 6oz rats spayed before. the minimum weight to have a puppy or kitten spayed is 2lbs. size isn't an issue if your vet knows what she is doing. if your vet isn't comfortable doing a spay, i would find one that is. there are just too many reasons TO spay, not to.

and i feel you on the sudden gender switch, lol. i thought rue was female, until the day his boy bits dropped! i still call him "her" more often than not, and my 3 year old just doesn't get that our girl bunny is actually a boy!

dragynflye wrote:
i've had 6oz rats spayed before. the minimum weight to have a puppy or kitten spayed is 2lbs. size isn't an issue if your vet knows what she is doing. if your vet isn't comfortable doing a spay, i would find one that is. there are just too many reasons TO spay, not to.

and i feel you on the sudden gender switch, lol. i thought rue was female, until the day his boy bits dropped! i still call him "her" more often than not, and my 3 year old just doesn't get that our girl bunny is actually a boy!
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back