Smoothies and slushies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
I have a blender, fresh fruit, ice, soy milk and empty cups,lol. i am looking to start making smoothies/slushies, ones that are healthy to hold me over during the day . so now i need recipies. I made one this morning with bananas, strawberries, soy milk, ice, a lil vanilla extract, and a teaspoon of sugar, it was eeeehhhh ok, i want something AMAZING!!!!!

We love smoothies and I follow the same basic formula whenever I make them. I used to make them every morning when Paul and I got up at the same time. All you do is put 1 banana, an 8 ounce carton of yogurt (it has to be sweetened, but any flavor is fine), and about a cup of fresh or frozen fruit like strawberries, blueberries, peaches or mangoes in the blender, then add about 1/4 cup fruit juice. Blend until smooth, and add more juice until it's the texture you want (you shouldn't need that much). It makes enough for two small smoothies, but I think it would be just fine for one person if you consume half at breakfast and half for a snack later on, or even all at once if you burn a lot of calories.

man i have to go to the store cause i have no yogurt in the house now,lol.

Add 1-2 scoops of vanilla ice cream: presto, awesome taste!

(If you don't want to do that, I bet some honey would work...)

Maybe a jigger of rum & an egg too :p

* WHoops, this is supposed to be healthy...forget the egg :biggrin2:

I LOVE Banana Blueberry smoothies!
They probably are not the healthiest but this is what I usually put in them:

Banana
Blueberries (Fresh or frozen)
Ice cubes
Ice cream
Sugar
Milk*
Yogurt*

I think that's it. :p

*Milk is usually only if it's too thick. And I don't always put yogurt in it but sometimes I do that. You could probably do yogurt (or frozen yogurt) instead of ice cream.

i am going to keep trying different stlyes of these. Autum, i like the rum idea,lol!!!! I also thought about the honey too.

I found a recipe online, looks so good I may try it ;)

So it says it's 240 calories for the entire mixture too. Pretty goood =)

3/4 cups of low-fat plain yogurt

1/2 skim milk

1 banana

1/2 cup of raspberrys and strawberrys, (1/2 all together, not each) or whichever fruit you'd rather.

Throw it all in a blender and voila.

* High in vitamin D.

ha ha sorry Minda,lol

Pam i might try that tommorrow i think i have orange juice in the fridge.

all these recipies say yogurt looks like i am going ot have to go to the store this weekend,lol

I've got a book called Smoothies: 50 Recipes for High-Energy Refreshment, and it's got some awesome recipes in it. It's divided into 4 sections, and has healthy stuff, dairy-free, decadent, and some with alcohol.

I haven't tried them all, but every one I have tried is amazing. My favorite so far is from the dairy-free section, Banana Latte.

1 cup soy milk (I use vanilla)
3/4 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
2 fresh bananas, frozen and sliced
6 to 8 ice cubes
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder for garnish
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon for garnish.

Mix the soy milk and coffee in the blender, then add the bananas and blend until smooth. While the blender is running, add in ice cubes until they're incorporated and you get to your desired consistency. Pour into tall glasses (serves 2) and garnish with cocoa powder and cinnamon.

I usually halve the recipe, and skip the garnish. The coffee/banana combo sounds kinda weird, but it's really good.

The book also has a guide on choosing and storing fruit, plus nutrition info on each recipe. Some of them have odd things (I've never seen boysenberry yogurt or passionfruit sorbet in any store), but most are fairly simple.

sounds good, i will have to skip the coffee since i am breast feeding, but i have everthing else it calls for,lol

Anyone like honeydew melon?

2 1/2 cups diced fresh honeydew melon
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon lime juice
pinch of salt
1/3 cup ginger ale or lemon lime soda
6 ice cubes.

(serves 2)

Awesome on a hot day! And only 51 calories per serving.

Here are a couple for you:

Almond-Banana Smoothie

Ingredients:
  • 2 large ripe bananas, peeled, sliced
  • 2 cups almond milk or whole milk
  • 2 cups ice cubes
  • 2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Ground nutmeg
Directions:
Blend first 5 ingredients in blender until smooth. Divide smoothies among 4 small glasses. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg.

Papaya-Banana Smoothie

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup Greek or plain yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 small ripe banana, peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 large, ripe papaya, peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 1 cup ice cubes
Directions:

Combine the milk, yogurt, vanilla, banana, papaya and ice cubes in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a large glass.

Sweet Basil Smoothie

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
    showlist_icon.gif
  • 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
  • 1 1/2 cups Lemon Simple Syrup, recipe follows
  • 1 cup ice
Directions:

In a blender, combine the yogurt, basil, Lemon Simple Syrup, and ice. Blend until smooth and frothy. Pour into frosted glasses and serve immediately.

Lemon Simple Syrup:
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and lemon zest over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Take the pan off the heat and allow the syrup to cool, about 20 minutes. Strain before using.

The closest thing I can find to a slushy is a granita. They take some time to make, but they're more than worth it, at least in my opinion.

Granny Smith, Lemon, and Basil Granita:

Ingredients:

• 4 1/2 lb Granny Smith apples
  • 1 (500-mg) tablet vitamin C, crushed
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1 (2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
Directions:

Slice apples and process enough slices in juicer, skimming and discarding any foam, to measure 3 1/2 cups juice, then transfer juice to a large bowl and stir in vitamin C and lemon juice. Process ginger in juicer, then stir 1 tablespoon ginger juice into apple juice.
Pulse together sugar and basil in a blender until sugar is bright green and basil is finely ground, then stir into apple juice until sugar is dissolved. Let stand 5 minutes, then pour through a fine-mesh sieve into an 8- to 9-inch metal baking pan.
Freeze, stirring and crushing lumps with a fork every hour, until evenly frozen, 3 to 4 hours. Scrape with a fork to lighten texture, crushing any lumps.

Notes:
If you don't have a juicer, you can still make this granita, though it will be the color of sparkling cider and the flavor won't be as crisp. Substitute 3 1/2 cups sparkling cider (nonalcoholic) for homemade apple juice and reduce sugar to 1/4 cup. Juice ginger by finely grating, then forcing pulp through a fine-mesh sieve to squeeze out juice.

Pineapple Granita:

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups pineapple juice
  • 4 small mint sprigs, for garnish
Directions:

Combine sugar with 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer until sugar is dissolved, stirring once or twice. Whisk juice into the sugar syrup and pour into a 9 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Freeze 2-3 hours, pulling a fork through the mixture every 30 minutes to make granules. Serve in glasses garnished with mint.

Cantaloupe Granita:

Ingredients:

• 2 cups coarsely chopped cantaloupe (from 1/2 melon, seeded)
  • 1/4 cup sugar, or to taste
  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
  • 1 cup ice cubes
Directions:

Purée all ingredients in a blender until smooth, then pour into a 13- by 9-inch metal pan and freeze until mixture becomes a firm slush, at least 40 minutes. Scrape with a fork and serve in chilled glasses.

Granita is best served the day it is made, but it will keep, covered and frozen, 3 days (rescrape to lighten texture again if necessary).

Beth, I want to try that cantaloupe one! Yum! Once I tried blending watermelon with some ice cubes and honey. It seemed like a good idea, but as it turns out, watermelon and honey do NOT go together.

I LOVE smoothies! :biggrin2:

I usually just whack a banana, some yoghurt, milk and honey in a blender and give it a whirl. Sometimes I add some berries or mango as well.

Latest posts

Back