Smelly Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't realize bleach wasn't good for fleece. Thanks Jenny! I don't use much fleece, mostly velvet. Which probably isn't natural, but it still gets some bleach. Haha but the dog towels and sheet get washed with bunny velvet.

Yeah, all my sythetic stuff says not to use bleach on it. I don't think it's the end of the world if you do use it though, especially if it's just pet stuff, but it may cause some degradation of the fibers or discoloration each time you use it. So, not the end of the world, the fabric just may wear more quickly. But come to think about it, with the rate my rabbits chew through it, it doesn't last long anyways. I should do some sort of scientific study on the effects of bleach on fleece, or maybe bleach vs. vinegar for removing pee smells from fleece, which is better? This is something all bunny owners want to know isn't it? Oh great, something else to waste my time on :). Now I'm kind of curious though. I think I may try it and see what happens :D

If you did that, it would be awesome! Because I have this overwhelming love for bleach and vinegar. I clean with vinegar and wash with bleach, so I would really love to know! That test would be awesome. You could get a few new fleece blankets and mark them with a B and a V. Maybe you could have a control too, that isn't washed with anything other than detergent? Get really scientific with it! That would be really interesting to learn. You should document the whole thing if you do it!

I'm not really bothered by the deterioration of the fabrics or the color fade because they tend to get thrown away and replaced often; and they're just for the animals. Foo doesn't chew on her blankets, but sometimes I just throw it out if it seems to old or whatever. :p

Btw, vinegar is a good natural fabric softener.

Wow, this is starting to get complicated! I'm going to have to get busy on encouraging lots of bunny peeing on blankets, usually it's the other way around, asking them why they have to keep peeing on things :)

Man, you're lucky you don't have a chewer. My rabbits blankets look like moths were on the attack. Holes everywhere!

Wow poor you. I would not use those pee pads, what happens if they start eatng them. Not good.

I also tend to disagree with the person that said 4 rabbits in such a small space would be smelly. When we were selling the house, we had 7 rabbits in a fairly small area in the basement, their was no smell at all. Even now I have 3 in a small bedroom. NO SMELL.

I also use towels in Winston and Vega's cage as he tends to pee out side the litter box. I have ceramic tiles in their cages. I change the towels daily, also take the soiled letter out of the litter box once a day, refil it with litter.

Tell your room mate to get a life. I assume you are paying rent, so you as much right as she does. God i've been in my place for 2 years abd I still have boxes that aren't unpacked. I came from a house to an apartment. If the people who come to visit me don't like to see the boxes then I say don't visit me.

Good Luck.

GinChinSing wrote:
I wonder if Walmart sells by the bolt. I bought a bolt from Hancock Fabrics a few years ago and didn't realize until after I got home that they didn't give me the sale price. I wasn't happy, but the fleece has come in handy in so many ways. It's got to be the best fabric in the world.

Tomorrow I'm contacting my local news paper about the end rolls. I did have a laundromat question though. Do you think they would mind having stinky rabbit pee fabric in their washers and dryers?
they probably do if you're lucky enough to have one with a fabric section. all the walmarts in my area (or at least the three I've been to) no longer have a fabric section, the jerks.

iirc the blankets I'm talking about are 50''x60'' which works out to $1.73 a yard, though, which beats the pants off any fabric store/section price for fleece (usually $9.99 and up per yard, at least at the fabric store near me... dunno about walmart pricing since as I said, they took away the fabric section >.> )

Susan, I'm not paying rent at this time, which is the problem. I'll have to try to get Jumper to see that it's better to sleep on the towels and pee in the litter box instead of the other way around. He's a stubborn boy. Maybe I should try putting another litter box. I use plastic sweater boxes for two rabbits and rabbit litter boxes for the other two. Perhaps if he had a bigger area, he would get the idea? The only reason the other two have sweater boxes as litter pans is because they're too big to fit into the rabbit litter boxes comfortably.

Lots of us use plastic bins as litter boxes. They work just fine. Maybe your rabbit that won't use the litter box doesn't like the kind of litter that you're using. I had a new rabbit that wouldn't use her litter box and as soon as I changed the litter, she loved it, and would use it after that. I don't know what kind of setup you have for him. He may just be peeing on the towels cause it's convenient for him. Is he in a cage with a smooth bottom floor. If so, you could try getting rid of the towels cause alot of times they won't pee on the floor cause then they step in it and don't like that. You could also just try putting towels in the litter box and no where else, and see if that will train him to start going in there. Then once he is consistantly doing it, switch back over to litter.

What's a sweater box? Never heard of that before.

Do you have hay in the litter box? That should help entice the bunny into the litter box. Is the litter box high? Maybe the bunny doesn't want to jump in it?

Susan:)

I use a cat litter box for Rue. He hated the little rabbit ones. As soon as I gave him a cat box and used wood pellets as litter($5 for a 40lb bag) he has no issues and no smell. He doesn't even poop outside his box.

Neutering will make a huge difference.

Also I put Rue's hay rack over his litter box and that encourages him to stay in the litter box for using the potty.

Wood burning pellets last me 3 months with one rabbit. I love it. No smell, no dust, easy to clean and cheap. Also safe for buns.

Latest posts

Back