Smelly Bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KendraJ

Reaction score
So I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but it's worth a shot!

My two rabbits live outside but my youngest stinks SOO bad. It isn't like a poop or pee smell either, just nasty, when I picked him up for his walk it was like putting my face in a garbage and I don't know what to do!

Nothing in their diet has changed, the older bun smells fine, his poop,pee,eyes, mouth ears and bum are totally normal. I'm really hesitant to give him a bath because it is January in Canada and i've read that bringing outdoor rabbits inside is a big temperature shock to them. Also their hutch is clean and doesn't smell out of the ordinary either.

So if you guys have an idea as to what's wrong or know what to do it would be soooo appreciated by me and the older rabbit who probably does't enjoy the smell either :) :brown-bunny

yeah, a bath in Canada in winter is a very bad idea for a number of reasons.

is your rabbit neutered? I believe un-neutered bucks can be rather... pungent.

This sounds like a health concern. Intact bucks shouldn't smell as rank as described here.

Does he smell the same when he's away from the cage? So you're sure it's not some area of the cage that smells?

If you have a rabbit savvy vet located close to you and can't determine where the smell is coming from, it may be good to have him checked out. Sometimes intact bucks will be smelly if they spray often and the area is not kept clean, or their coat becomes dirty. But those are things you should be able to notice from a visual inspection of the area.

Thanks guys! I'm going to try to clean the anal glands because my dog had a similar situation. I'm sure hilarity will ensue... or rabbit attack ... or judgement from the older rabbit and therapy for the both of us! ;)

good luck, lol... if he fights you, try doing a bunny burrito - wrap him up in a towel so that just his head and the end of his bum stick out, that way he can't kick and scratch :)

If it's kind of a musky, skunky smell it might be the scent glands (cleaning them is much different from emptying a dog's so do review how to do it before you get started), but I wouldn't describe my garbage as musky so if he smells like garbage, I'd take him in for a checkup. That doesn't sound normal to me.

Latest posts

Back