small world rabbit VS oxbow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lover_Of_Lopz

Reaction score

I fed my bun small world rabbit pellets and am thinking of switching to oxbow should I?

she gets timothy(sp) hay and veggies/fruits and small amount of pellets is this ok?:?

We don't have any of those pellets over here, but I know that oxbow is def a good, high quality pellet. Small World I thought was a crappy Walmart brand.....

Small World is, IMO, a very horrible brand of pellets. Even though it doesn't have the treat bits mixed in I've seen nothing good come from feeding this stuff. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen any pet food at Walmart that I'd feed aside from Kaytee hay.

How old are your rabbits? If they're still growing you can switch them to Oxbow's 15/23 formula or many other brands of quality alfalfa pellets. Aside from Oxbow or Mazuri, the best choices for alfalfa pellets are usually at feed/farm stores. Ifyour buns areno longer growing and will not be used for breeding then by all means switch them to Oxbow's BB/T- the timothy formula. Some people also like Kaytee's timothy pellets too.

Small world is not the ideal rabbit pellets that you should be feeding. I would definitely switch to Oxbow BBT (She's one you said?) if you have access to that brand.

When Royce was first brought over, his owner had been feeding him Small World from Walmart for a year and a half. He lacked so much nutrition from the pellets - had it not been for the vegetables and hay, Royce would be in a much worse state. He's at the vets on average every 3 months to ensure that he's alright. He's completely on Oxbow BBT now.

So from a personally experience, Small World not so good!

Pixie: just checking, but let me guess: poor fur quality, frequent/constant shedding, poor muscle tone, and a possible pot belly? Fecal issues seem to depend on the rabbit, but since my girls had megacolon anyway their poo was particularly horrible...

You got it! His fur used to be a shade of dull black, he was constantly shedding in blotches, and he some fecal problems. I'm not sure about the muscle tone or the belly though.

Now he's get such a great coat of shiny black, and he's a lot more active.

Like I said, I had more extreme cases due to the megacolon issues. Fey was the worst looking of the two, and if you look at before and after shots of her she doesn't look like the same rabbit, even in the face. It took them maybe 8 months or so to stop molting every few weeks but at least with every molt their fur was much nicer.

I've heard the same story from a number of other people too.

Latest posts

Back