Small poos

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leowyldemi

Reaction score
howies has been leaving really small poos the past couple of days, not so small i feel i need to rush him to the vet, but noticibly small enough that i think he may be having a bit of constipation,is there anything i could give him to help him flush out his system a bit? i've been giving him extra hay and lots of water. is there anything else i can do for him?

Hi, I just wrote this up for another member with a similar issue
Here are some things you should get if you can: infant gas drops (simethicone active ingredient, brand name is typically Ovol in Canada I think), pedialyte/dioralyte (infant diarrhea rehydration drink), fresh pineapple, and canned pumpkin puree or squash baby food. You should also look for a non-milk based probiotic of some sort--if you can get BeneBac or Probios at a pet or farm store, that's the best. I know they're hard to find in Canada sometimes, so you may have to get human acidophilus capsules from the natural foods/herbal supplements section.

I think he may have gas due to the sugars. The probiotics will get the GI bacteria back on track, the pumpkin/squash is a good source of wet fiber, the infant diarrhea drink has a good salt/sugar concentration to get him rehydrated, and the pineapple has similar effects and bunnies really like it. For the gas meds, give 1mL hourly (oral syringe) for 3 hours, and see if that helps. Force him to drink 5mL of the infant rehydration drink per hour if you can (oral syringe). Give him some gentle belly massage, with an electric toothbrush if you have it, and a source of heat like an old sock filled with dry rice and microwaved. You can also give some pain medicine. If you have metacam (vet pain meds) on hand and it's less than 6 mo old, give that. If not, give ibuprofen or aspirin with doses according to this chart.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

Do NOT give tylenol (acetaminophen).

Only differences for US rather than Canada are that the brand name of baby gas meds is mylicon or mylanta, the infant drink is called pedialyte, and you can usually get Bene-Bac at PetSmart and similar stores, and Probios at Tractor Supply or similar stores.

thank you! i actually just saw the other thread now,thank you for reposting the information, i'll give it a try and keep an eye on him, he's eating and drinking normally so hopefully this will help him:)

Back