Small Poo...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brearune

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just noticed today that Eckie's poos are smaller today than they usually are. He's still going as much as normal, he's still eating and drinking, he runs around fine. I wouldn't have even thought anything was wrong with it if I hadn't recalled reading something about it possibly being a bad sign? Is this true? Let me know, please!!

If he's acting normal, I doubt it's anything bad. Maybe he just uhm (how to say this politely) doesn't have much to poop. Just keep watching his food intake, along with hay and if he stops eating, or stops pooping then I think you should worry.

Although I am no vet, it sounds normal to me, and I wouldn't fret.

Are his poops still small. ?

How is his appetite?

If they are still small this could be the beginning of stasis so it is important that you noticed

Makes sure that he has plenty of water and lots of fresh grass type hay.
it may help to feed some veggies ( if he is not used to them then feed very small amounts at first)

His poo seems okay now. Thanks for the info, though, I knew there was something that could have small poo as a symptom.
While I'm at it, he hasn't been touching his hay lately. He just eats TONS of his pellets. I do feed him veggies when I have them available (every other day, usually...) and he does okay with them, it's just his hay.

If Eckie is an adult rabbit he should have his pellets rationed daily. Most rabbits will just eat pellets all dayif give the opportunity .
All my rabbits eat no more than 1/8 th cup of pellets daily. This is really a small amount .... because of the small amount of pellets they eat huges volumes of hay and also get a medium portion of greens.
Hay should be the primary source of food for the rabbit.

how much does Ecke weigh? ; what kind of hay do you feed???

Not sure how much he weighs... He's the size of a Dutch, though. He doesn't *look* fat. Is there a way i can weigh him without going to the vet? I figure normal human scales wouldn't work. (we're saving up to take him in and get him neutered, until then I wanna avoid too much spending)
We feed Timothy Hay.
So, how much pellets should he have? He is an adult, yes. Dutch size, about 2 years old.

You could try weighing yourself and then holding him whileyou stand on a scale and subtract the difference.

Dutches are in the 5 lb range .
Start to cut down his pellets but do this slowly and don't decrease them drastically or it will upset his GI tract.

While you are decreasing the pellets always provide a lot of really good quality grass type hay ; a hungry rabbit will eathay when pellets are not always available.

Ideally a 5lbadult rabbit rabbit should get about 1/4 cup pellets /day but remember to decrease the amount over a period of weeks and not quickly

I don't know, based on face shape and ear length he looks to have some Netherland dwarf in him. He could be a "bug ugly buck"--meaning a dwarf that didn't get the dwarfing gene (he's not ugly at all--it's just a breeders' term). I have a bunny like that named Frida and she is around 4lb. The best way to check his weight is to read over this document by our expert Pam Nock and to feel his body condition. You should be able to feel spine/ribs and the flesh should be firm, not flabby.

http://nockrabbits.com/RabbitWeight.pdf

According to that he's still a fine weight - I'm gunna try to weigh him as soon as I get my own human scale out of the closet lol probably tongiht, and I'll post results then.
When I posted his picture here it was overall agreed he was probably an ND x Dutch mix of some sort, which I think I agree with, but that's an interesting theory too.
I'll be returning tonight to post results, thanks for feedback :)

So, we just weighed Eckie as discussed, and he weighs 3.6 lbs, which is less than I was expecting since I thought he was Dutch-sized. But that makes sense since we were told he was a ND at first, then concluded he's probably a ND/Dutch mix, lol. I guess he's more towards ND size. I also used that guide and felt him a lil, and he seems a decent weight, maybe a lil round in the belly where it should be straight, but if he's anything, he's just *slightly* overweight I think. Which makes snese, I only just started feeding him more pellets since he seemedh ungry all the time. I've already started the gradual cut back, though, so that should be good soon :)
thanks for the help!! :)

Latest posts

Back