small newborn...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitfarmer

Reaction score
Is there anything you can do for a newborn rabbit that is the runt of the litter? All of the other babies are between 80-100 grams and this baby is only 40 grams. Now it might be a little off since they were all wiggling around as i tried to weigh them. But he/she is definitely smaller than the brothers and sisters. I've talked to a friend of mine who breeds rabbits and she suggested putting the baby up to the mama to nurse. If i could do this i would, but the mama rabbit doesn't like human contact and there is no way i could hold her without being bit or scratched. She runs away if you just try to pet her.

This is the good mother, right? Anyway, as that didn't work, you maybe can get him to have a larger share by trying to keep the others from nursing quite as much. That might be tricky, but that'd leave trying to supplement the runt's food with some other kind of mother's milk. What I've seen mentioned is cat or goat's milk.

This is the good mother, right?

yes a very good mother. She builds an excellent nest. All of her babies (except this one) is round bellied and warm. I'm just wondering if because there are so many she's having trouble getting to mama to nurse. When i check her babies she stays right by the nest and watches me.

you maybe can get him to have a larger share by trying to keep the others from nursing quite as much.

it would work if i could catch the mama nursing. But i'm pretty sure she's waiting until the middle of the night or early AM to do the feedings. When we're all sleeping. I've never seen her nursing or laying in the nesting box during the day hours. she just sits right beside it.

That might be tricky, but that'd leave trying to supplement the runt's food with some other kind of mother's milk. What I've seen mentioned is cat or goat's milk.

yeah that's what i ended up trying to do. I gave it some kitten formula we had here. Mama was watching me the entire time. hoping baby's able to nurse at the next feeding.

We're not 100% positive, but the previous owners told us the does and buck are lionhead and rex mix. I'm guessing standard rex since the male is around 5lbs and the females looks to be in the 7+ lb range.

I had never heard of a peanut, until my friend who breeds rabbits mentioned it. I did a google search and while it's a lot smaller than it's siblings. It does not have the large head or small ears that a peanut would have. Head looks normal for proportion to it's body and ears are big and long. It's just really tiny. 40 grams compared to the next smallest baby at 79 grams. The biggest baby is up to 105 grams!

Latest posts

Back