Small kit in the litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairyTailFuzzies

Reaction score
This is a question for you breeders...Over thelast few weeks I noticed one kit in my last litter isn't reallyprogressing. She is still tiny - less than half the size ofher siblings. She is 9 weeks old now, eating hay and pelletsand drinking on her own. She is not gaining weight or growingat all. Every day I expect to find this kid dead but she isstill there and has the sweetest personality. She is weak butmanages to get around the cage ok. When I pick her up she isall bones with no meat or muscle. I'm assuming she has somekind of digestive issues ( normal poops) maybe where sheisn't getting nutrients from feed? Just didn't know if anyoneelse ever had this happen. I plan to leave her with her momas I'm taking away the other kits and she loves to cuddle with her momand thedoe is still being sweet with her. I doubtshe is a peanut - she has lived longer than I would expect a peanut toand her head is in proportion with her body. Just looking foranyone else who may have had a kit like this....

Thanks!:bunnydance:

www.freewebs.com/fairytailfuzzies/

I'm thinking maybe her siblings aren't lettingher get to enough food. I would seperate her at feeding time andseveral other times throughout the day to be 100% sure she's gettingher fill.

we had two litters born here while I wasdoing rescue, each litter had a few runts, but they never had anyissues with not putting on weight. is there a way to vet thatbunny?? maybe they can find out what the problem is before the bunnydies. have you tried to give the little one nutri cal, justto help keep xtra nutrients in it. how is the little onescoat condition, teeth, is it peeing normally, can you monitor how muchfood it is actually taking in? the more we can find out thebetter we might be able to help out with what the problem might be:D

Could the baby be a peanut?? Check it's teeth. Usually a long lived

peanut has bad teeth as well as the characteristic domed head.

I had a peanut live until it was 8 weeks old but she couldn't hold

on anymore. Their digestive systems just don't work properly.

Roger L

She has free access to food, hay and water....thats not it.

I don't think she is a peanut - the head looks normal and inproportion. I did check her teeth and her lower jaw looks alittle undershot but I watched her eat pellets today and she got themin and chewed and down.

She seems to pee and poo normally. I just think her digestive tract is failing probably some kind of birth defect....

She is an orange kit from the second litter on the website.

At first, it sounded to me like it was a peanuttoo, however, upon viewing your site and pic of the litter, I don'tthink it is a peanut. I agree with you that it could besomething in the digestive area. Try force feeding it someinfant baby food (veggie only) and giving oatmeal. This mayhelp it gain weight.

Hopefully it will make it...keep us updated. BTW...Nice website!

Sharon

Latest posts

Back