Small Breeds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightyscotto

Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone have an opinion on what their favorite small breed (under 5 pounds) of rabbit would be to own (friendliest)? Would a Jersey Wooly, Fuzzy Lop, or Mini Satin be a good way to go?
Scott

Jersey Woolies are typically very calm and laid back. In my experience, American Fuzzy Lops are a bit more energetic and have a similar temperament to Hollands.

I don't have any first-hand experience with Mini Satins though.

I love all of the small breeds but I'm not up for a high maintenance grooming breed like the extremely long furry ones, at least not now? For the record though all rabbits require some grooming weekly. I don't mind any of the larger ones either but small fits my current living space, I'm hoping one day when I get a bigger place to possibly get a flemish but I may just stick with the little guys. I have a weak spot for the floppy ears and I'd have to say hollands are my fav. I don't really know much of which are the friendliest cause I would think it's all on upbringing and training really, though I hear holland lops are a more calmer breed.

I can vouch for my holland being friendly but he's not THAT calm, he's active and hates to be picked up, but loves to get pets and attention. I question if he's a full breed which I really don't think he is and carries some mini lop, not that I care.

Last edited:
I saw a few Jersey Woolies at shows in the past that seemed sweet and cuddly, and they were ok being held. I once owned a Mini Lop that had a sweet personality, so if a Holland Lop has anywhere near that kind of disposition it might be worth looking into also. I just don't know if I want to go the Netherland Dwarf route for a small breed.

I love jersey woolys. They are such sweet rabbits! I had an event with two days of a large amount of little kids. I had a wooly for the kids to pet she was amazing and just sat there the entire time! Definitely a top pick especially around little kids.

I agree with Julie I hear AFL's have the disposition of a holland.

As far as mini satins I haven't heard good things about them. Breeders have nicknames for them but I'm sure with basic socialization they aren't bad

The Mini Lops I have been around tended to be pretty docile and calm, which isn't how I would describe Hollands. Hollands are super friendly and intelligent, but tend to be energetic. "High strung" is often a term people use in a negative way for crazy animals...and Hollands are not that. However, that term comes to mind in a positive way when I think of Hollands because they're particularly active and sociable.

Netherland Dwarfs are a great small breed too.

Dwarf Hotot's are pretty sweet. It sounds like the Holland Lop and Jersey Wooly may be frontrunners for me in making my decision. I hear some good things about the Lionhead, but unfortunately it is not an ARBA approved breed, so I guess if I ever wanted to show it my ribbons/Legs wouldn't mean much to me

I have no practical experience with small buns, just admiring interest. If I did go with a small breed I'd go with a Holland Lop. I like their temperaments, and think they're cute as a button. I must say though I've been reading on work of a Rex-Lionhead cross and the little I've seen I kind of like, even with my dislike of groom intense pets.

Lionheads can't win legs yet since they're not a recognized breed. If you think you'd like to show, I would probably advise against Holland Lops too unless you're going to raise them. Hollands are a very competitive breed, so you can certainly purchase a few good breeding animals and start working toward a competitive line of your own. But if you're looking to buy a top show quality rabbit with a chance of winning some shows, you're probably looking at $150+ (on the more conservative side.)

Jersey Woolies are much more affordable, and you can find a nice show quality rabbit for closer to $60-75.

I think the temperament in the Jersey Wooly has a lot of plus signs to it, but does the breed have any known health issues that you know of? I have been told by a few breeders in the past that it is one of the few breeds that doesn't mind being held and that for some reason it is less likely to kick with its hind legs and risk breaking its back if it is held. Is that true?

There are very few breeds specifically prone to any health problems. I didn't experience any common issues during the time I raised Jersey Woolies (about 5 years). If you work with a reputable breeder who has been working with the breed for a long time and has rabbits that perform well on the show table, their woolies are probably more conformationally sound and temperaments more consistent than someone who just has two or three rabbits and breeds occasionally. That's true of every breed for the most part.

Woolies aren't really less likely to kick since all rabbits move in the same way (by "springing" off their hind legs.) Holding them often makes rabbits of any breed more comfortable with handling though and can lessen the risk of major freak-outs. Usually if rabbits are held properly, they have little chance or reason to kick and flail. Injury most often occurs when they're not being handled or restrained properly.

I'll put my 2 cents in for Polish. They're small, weighing no more than 3 lbs and definitely not an active breed. As is true of many rabbits, as long as they're handled when they're young they will enjoy just sitting and being petted, and if you want to show them they aren't overly expensive for a nice showable rabbit. They require little to no maintenance except to keep their nails trimmed.

My holland lop is pretty low maintenance, and he is super friendly. He will jump up on the couch and just climb all over us lol. We are very attached ha.

I think it's hard to make broad statements about the temperaments of different bunny breeds since each individual is unique. My suggestion would be to either pick a bunny whose personality you like best regardless of breed, or pick a breed that you like the looks of best and then choose an individual bun of that breed that you like. My personal favorite is the Holland Lop and that's only because I think they're irresistibly cute and has nothing to do with personality, though both of my Hollands have been sweethearts.

As others have said the netherland dwarfs are NOT calm or sedate. They are very active and spunky. They love to run around, investigate stuff and do their own thing. They will let you pet them but they don't usually like being held. I love them. I think they're really fun and they are low maintenance when it comes to grooming.

Back