SLUGS...eugh

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyNBuster

Reaction score
Home of the white rabbits, , United Kingdom
Hello everyone I've just got a few minutes here. Hope you are all ok....:)

I have just been in the garden and noticed some rather disgusting slugsmaking their way up Ms.Daisys hutch and was wondering if they areactually harmful? Obviously I want rid anyway as its not very nice.

It seems they have got into her hutch - theres no sign of them but theyhave left a lovely silver trail near her food bowl:X. Now I'm worriedis it poisonous? Would I be ok to put slug pellets on the floor belowher hutch or will they make her ill? She wouldn't be in direct contactwith the pellets.....:?

Vickie:cool:

Yuck...slugs huh? I got thisfromhttp://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entomology/entfacts/trees/ef407.htm

Here are a few tips on how to prevent or reduce slugsproblems:
Sanitation. Keep the area free ofplant debris (leaves, prunings, pulled weeds, etc.), old boards,stones, or tires that provide cool moist hiding places for slugs. Prunelow branches or trees or shrubs which touch the ground.
Rake the leaves or mulch in order to allow the ground todry.
Metaldehyde or mesurol bait can be used to killslugs. Read the label carefully. Do not allow pellets to come incontact with leaves of vegetables.
Beer traps. Emptycans buried up to the lip and partially filled with beer can beeffective slug traps. Beer should be changed every few days to remaineffective.
Barriers of diatomaceous earth, wood ash,lime, sawdust, copper striping, and salt embedded plastic strips can beused around bedded plants.

I like the idea of the beer,a natural, harmless to bunnies, death for slugs. Hope thishelps.

Dawn

I've used the beer traps many times :)I just put some beer (pop works also) in a dish (styrofoam disposableplate or bowl)on the ground and the slugs crawl into it anddie. Very effective.

Pam

I like the idea of Beer!!!

Dead slugs and a drunk rabbit! LOL!!!

I happen to like snails/slugs... *is crying for the dead slugs*

However, I do understand that a person'sgotta do what a person's gotta do. I like the beer ideatoo. It seems the most painless. And maybe theslugs will think they're having a good time right before theydie. Just don't put salt all over them and watch their bodiesdissolve... That's so cruel!

--Melissa and Umbra

StickyBird wrote:

However, I do understand that a person'sgotta do what a person's gotta do. I like the beer idea too. It seemsthe most painless. And maybe the slugs will think they're having a goodtime right before they die. Just don't put salt all over them and watchtheir bodies dissolve... That's so cruel!

--Melissa and Umbra

Don't give people ideas.
I don't understand how slugs can be bad for rabbits. They live together in the nature.

AnnaS wrote:
StickyBird wrote:

However, I do understand that a person'sgotta do what a person's gotta do. I like the beer idea too. It seemsthe most painless. And maybe the slugs will think they're having a goodtime right before they die. Just don't put salt all over them and watchtheir bodies dissolve... That's so cruel!

--Melissa and Umbra

Don't give people ideas.
I don't understand how slugs can be bad for rabbits. They live together in the nature.
Good idea... =)

--Melissa and Umbra

AnnaS wrote:
Don't give people ideas.

Bobcats, owls, parasitic worms andmites are just a few of thecreatures that also live together in nature with rabbits --I would consider those to bebad from the rabbit'spoint of view ;)

Pam

Feel lucky they're only in Daisy's hutch,Vickie! We had a huge one in our house last week.It slithered *shudders* under the back door and was making it's way tothe bathroom!! We've also had 2 little froggies in aswell!! Needless to say Dan was sent to the DIY store to buydraught excluders for the door at the weekend and we've had none insince! Eugh! They make me sick!!

Also at the last house, they ate all my herbs!! Except thechives, looks like they don't like them! My poor asters werein ribbons too! Grrr!

I'm glad to see you're back btw! :D

Daisy,

We get slugs in the hutches all the time. In fact, onemorning I saw a huge slug on my Foo Foo's back. I wasflipping out and knew I had to fix that situation immediately and on myown. So I got a fly swater and slid the yuckie slug over thefence into my neighbor's yard (he-he).

Here's a piece of trivia I had shared with Carolyn recently, but thought everyone else might also find it interesting . . .

In an extremely rare case, eating slugs was nearly fatal toan Australian manwhoswallowed2 slugs on adare and was infected by a parasite that lives in the slugs and cantransmit meningococcal bacteria. The man nearly died frommeningitis and will probably never eat slugs again :p

Pam

LMAO!! *loves Shrek, even if he does eat slugs*

As long as they eat slugs I'm happy, it stops them eating my coriander! :p

Back