Slobbers (dog) has another hotspot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
myheart - I want to snatch Slobbers up!

I'd be cautious about steroid shots, as there are long term results from them, including EPI which can be bad.

Youo may want to get some Pyoben from your vet - it's a conditioning rinse that will help open and flush his pores. 18oz bottle is usually about $23.

I'd keep him out of any plastic feeding/water containers. Plastics have been known to cause facial allergies/outbreaks due to bacteria buildup in the containers themselves.

I wont echo the great feeding advice given...

naturestee wrote:
Can't judge a cat/dog vet by how they treat rabbits.;)

That's why we have different vets for different species! LOL! The only combo vets we have are the dog and cat one, and the sheep and goat one. I get them for their specialty... Our sheep vet would treat the bunnies but he would treat them on a livestock mentality..... can't do that.

ALSO: We found that Bo sneezed when we were using a certain laundry soap on his blankies. We changed to a milder one and he doesn't have issues there anymore.

Leaf wrote:
myheart - I want to snatch Slobbers up!

I'd be cautious about steroid shots, as there are long term results from them, including EPI which can be bad.

Youo may want to get some Pyoben from your vet - it's a conditioning rinse that will help open and flush his pores. 18oz bottle is usually about $23.

I'd keep him out of any plastic feeding/water containers. Plastics have been known to cause facial allergies/outbreaks due to bacteria buildup in the containers themselves.

I wont echo the great feeding advice given...

LOL about snatching Slobs up.... Are you sure you want to make that kind of a drive?!!! It could be a long one without a friend to travel with. If you volunteer one without their knowing, they are sure to say yes after the fact because they have already been committed to do it. ;)

The Pyoben rinse sounds interesting... I was thinking about giving him a bath with some oatmeal shampoo to help sooth his skin and clean his coat without stripping it.

No plastic dishes for my guy!! :)He has stainless steel mixing bowls for his dishes. His water dish came with him upon his adoption, and I found his food bowl at St. Vincent De Paul's for $1.50. That one is huge!!! If that one were his water dish, my boy cat would be so happy fishing his little paws in it! I would only have toworry if he fell into it, the poor kitty drown because the dish is that big. :?

myheart

Gee everyone.... I really wasn't expecting this many suggestions about my poor Slobber's allergies. Thanks to all who posted. I hope this thread helps anyone else out who is just as frustrated as I am with commercial pet products and guessing what could be the next thing to try to alleviate itchy symptoms.

I am not sure where to start to respond ....

Elf Mommy and Bo B, I had the cats on Natural Balance reduced formula for some time, but Pearl was still itchy on that. Chicken Soup for cats was one of the other foods we tried, but she was still itchy. None of the cats ate the Felidae (cat formula of Canidea). The vet suggested Purina OM (stuff only vets carry) and Pearl did better on that, but the first ingredient was corn gluten meal. :(They are finally eating the Wellness brand, but it is rather expensive and it is too soon to know if it will help with the itchies. After this, we may try the Evo cat formula or something before going back to the vet stuff.

Korr_and _Sophie, I did read about the BARF diet on some web site. It would get quite pricey for a big dog, but we always seem to find the money in our budgets for the critters... ;)Thanks for the link for the food analysis. I will take a look at that, but with a grain of salt because some of these things can be backed by any company with enough pull. (Remember the Wal-Mart Ol' Roy survey/analysis of foods?)

Werecatrising, I have been thinking about the allergy test, but it is about $300.00. I don't mind switching his foods at this point to figure out if it could be the grains or meat source. If I do not get anywhere with that, the allergy test will be next on the list of things to try. I will look into the atopica stuff for him also. Does that get perscribed after allergy testing, or could that be used without knowing what the exact allergen is?

RexyRex and BO B, we did the benedryl as a trial to see if it would decrease his itchiness. He would need three or four pill twice a day to see any affects because of his size. The decrease in his itchiness was so minimal that I didn't think that spending seven dollars a week on pills wasn't worth it. I would rather put the money toward a better dog food that could take his itchiness away completely.

The only other thing that crosses my mind is stress. We all think that sleeping all day is not that stressful for an animal, but for Slobbers it could be different. He is such a social butterfly on his walks that I swear he picks routes that will take him right to the people who will want to lovey him up. It has been so cold of late, that walks are almost impossible. It also works the other way during the summer, too hot to walk a cold-weather dog.

Thanks again every one for the input. I will look into the foods that are grain-free next, give him a good bath, and hope that something works before we spend the big bucks for a test.

myheart

I do know someone who actually cooks chicken for their pets each day. She was a trainer for Petsmart. She also said they had to cook some other stuff but her dogs did really well with boiled meat and some veggies.... I have no clue if that would work.

One of my friends has a dog that cannot eat anything but lamb. No nothing but lamb......

Bo B Bunny wrote:
One of my friends has a dog that cannot eat anything but lamb. No nothing but lamb......

How did she find out? Did she have the allergy test done, or was it a process of elimination?

Slobbers has his medicine now. I shaved the area so I could really see the extent of the infection. Poor guy...! No wonder why it really was bothering him. I put the salve on at least three times today because he kept licking it off. I am sure it will hurt for a while yet until the oral and salve antibiotics get a chance to work.

I did take him out for a nice walk today. :biggrin2:And sure enough, if he didn't find someone to pet him!! And then we were just about home when someone pulled up with their car and they had a female St. Bernard in the back seat!!! How exciting!!! She was smaller and possibly a smooth-coat. We didn't get the chance to talk about our dogs because Slobbers started pulling me toward the car and I didn't want him jumping on the car or harrassing their dog. Sometimes he is a real turkey when it comes to other dogs. Anyhow, he was one tired boy after the walkand didn't have the energy to bother his hotspot. :p

BTW... going to check out the Evo food tomorrow because I have to pick up the bunny pellets (they special order the ten-pound bag of BBT for me).

myheart

I just wanted to do a quick update on my big guy, Slobbers.

I have him switched over to the Evo big bite poultry food. I thought I would start with the poultry, and if that didn't work I would switch him to the meat food in the Evo line.

At this point he seems to be less itchy even though he hasn't been on it for very long. I am going to try the new food for the next couple of months to make sure this isn't just a fluke thing. :)

The only thing that could throw this all off is the fact that I am also treating his ears. He was real agitated one night, and after looking him over I decided to use some of the ear-stuff I had left over from the cats. The vet had said there would be no problem using it on him, so I am being faithful with using it in his ears.

I am really hoping that the new food will be the cure to his itchiness. He still needs to have a bath because he is stinky, so I will still be doing the oatmeal bath when I have the time to get him totally brushed out again. (Getting ready for the spring shed-out... :()

Thanks every one for your input!! It just made me feel so bad to see the big guy being so frustrated with his itchiness. I knew he hurt, but every one who posted really helped to make him feel better. Big Thanks!!!!

myheart

Back