Slight changes during molt?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minilopbun

Reaction score
Hi everyone I was wondering if molting can cause behavior changes in rabbits. Baci has been a little bit less accepting of pets these past few days and a little more withdrawn. Not very much, but I notice it. He still chases after me and my sisters and parents and binkys, but it's definitely not as often as usual. He's also a bit more skittish. This morning he sat with me for pets for a while, but the past few days he hasn't been accepting of being touched much. I noticed he is molting because there's a weird looking V on his forehead lol. He is eating and pooping and drinking water all normally and I'm making sure to provide lots of fresh hay!! But is his molting making him uncomfortable?? How can I help?? I'm going to try rubbing wet hands through his fur to see if i can get the loose fur.

You may want to try giving your bun laxatone. It's a hair ball treatment for cats but many use on their bunnies during the molting times. They make it in a malt/maple flavor and most buns eat it like its going out of style(mine is an exception to that so it is syringed in.) Your bun might be uncomfortable and that's why the withdrawal.
Best of luck!

My bunny has been molting for a few weeks and he has been a bit withdrawn as well.

He seems to be coming out of it lately, though.

My rabbit seemed to be a bit withdrawn when he was moulting as well, but it soon passed. I think perhaps it's itchy with all the new fur growing through, which makes them a bit annoyed.
I used to brush my Dutch Yellow regularly and it used to help. It certainly prevented him from swallowing all the loose fur when he was grooming!
Hopefully this helps!
- Sophie. Xx

Back