Skype is a mommy!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaPenguin

Reaction score
We were worried that our Holland Lop wasn't going to ever be a mommy, since we've had her for quite a while and have never 'took' to any breedings. To my great suprise, when going to feed the bunnies this morning, I found babies! I'm worried now that she may not be feeding, but I have milk stuff just in case. She didn't nest, so we didn't know. She's now in a large kennel in our bathroom. We are expecting adorable babies if they make it, and if they don't end up making it, we are happy to know at least that she is capable. :)

Photos!

14315_040020_190000003.jpg

14315_040020_180000002.jpg

14315_032346_590000001.jpg

14315_032343_140000003.jpg

14315_032343_130000002.jpg

I'm not a breeder or anything, but shouldn't she have built a nest?

Very cute babies, I'm sure they'll be quite the adorable little fuzzballs!

Kipcha wrote:
I'm not a breeder or anything, but shouldn't she have built a nest?

Very cute babies, I'm sure they'll be quite the adorable little fuzzballs!
Experienced mothers usually do. This was her first litter, so we're just hoping that the mothering instinct is there and her not building a nest was just because she didn't realize she needed to.

She needs a nestbox for the babies to stay in. Even a large shoebox that she can fit in would probably work. The babies should not just be on the floor of her cage. If she doesn't pull fur, it will make it very hard for the babies to get to the milk if it is coming in. If she doesn't do it, you probably need to do it for her, and put some straw, the babies, and her fur in a nestbox. The fur on her belly should be very loose and easy to pull off. The babies will run a risk of getting too cold and dying if they aren't in a fur nest, which is usually near 100 degree temperature.

Also, besides not having a nestbox prepared for her to have her babies in, moving her to a completely different environment right after she had her babies is not going to help her mothering instinct, especially if you have to use that bathroom.

I'm happy to say that we are going into night two and all the babies seem fat and healthy. It seems like Skype is taking care of them after all. She has moved them around the cage, and we put them in a small box for her - it seems like she's content with them staying in the box for the time being. She's eating a LOT and drinking tons, so far so good! :) I hope these babies make it. I'm really interested in seeing how they turn out.

The babies are fed by the pictures, But you need to pull fur for her (Under her belly, chest, butt)... I had to do this to a few of the does of mine that didnt pull enough. But they need the fur to keep warm or they will just get chilled.

Babies look like they have full tummies! Glad she is being a good mom. So do you know who the father is?

They are chubby little things, aren't they? We lost two today while I was at work :( Hoping things work out with the others. It seems I have never had any luck with first litters. The father is an otter Mini Rex.

Latest posts

Back