Skittish baby bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauraelizxo

Reaction score
Hello again!

It has been 5 days since we brought Peanut home. We love him so much.. He has such a wonderful personality. He jumps right out of his cage door and hops and binkies all around the house!!

In the beginning he would not let us pet him or pick him up.. Whenever we would reach to touch him he would sprint and hide.

A couple days ago I sat on the ground with a little piece of banana in my hand. He eventually made his way to me, ate the banana and let me pet him :)

We're trying to be on his level as much as possible & allow him to come to us.

Any other tricks or ideas out there on how to get him to feel more comfortable approaching us? He did allow me to pet him again this morning.. but I just want to work on it more. I would love for him to be a cuddly bunny! But I guess time will tell:)

Thanks in advance!
Here's a cute little pic I took of him with our beta, king :)

Peanut & King:ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404308715.459648.jpg

I honestly think you're making very good progress! Remember, your bunny is a prey animal that has instincts to be naturally wary, on top of that, he's just been taken away from his siblings and everything he's ever known and put into a new environment with new people. You're doing all the right things, bunnies just take time and patience. Bandit was the same when I first got him, now he comes running for pets :) keep doing what you're doing and give him time :)

Sitting with him in a more enclosed area such as a bathroom or in an xpen, as opposed to a larger open room, can help with bonding with your rabbit. In larger spaces there are usually a lot of distractions and places to hide. A smaller area helps the bun interact with you more. Also, this is a good article on ways to bond with your bun.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/bonding-your-bunny-29064/

Treats are a good way to help a bun overcome it's shyness, but make sure to limit sugary treats to a small amount each day and discontinue them if your bun starts to get mushy poop. You can also start introducing veggies into the diet to use for treats instead of fruit.
http://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

Back