Skinny From Post Pregnancy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dublinperky

Reaction score
Nessa is getting VERY skinny! I am giving her all the food she wants but it doesn't seem to help as she doesn't eat very much. Is there something I can give her like oats or something to help her gain some weight?

Aly!:)

Hi Aly, congrats on the babies. I always give my doe oats or something extra after kindling. She goes nuts for them and they seem to help her out alot.

I give nesting does and kits unlimited feed post kindling. I mix it with oats, barley and, in later weeks, calf manna just to entice them to eat and keep weight on. I figure if they are nursing, they deserve a little extra to keep everyone in good shape.

Some does seem to do better than others when raising a litter, I usually free feed my does until the kits are weaned but you can get does who don't seem to be able to keep their condition. My blue Rex seem to stay fat no matter how big a litter they raise, but my dalmatians seem to struggle to keep the weight on while raising a litter. I offer oats, frutti mix feed, and herb grass which usually helps. You can also switch to higher protein feed and better hay but you need to do this over time obviously. If you get a doe that loses condition on every litter I would retire her early, some does are just not cut out to be mothers from my experience.

I will have to try that forumla for nursing does.
"oats, barley and, in later weeks, calf manna".
My Rosie is rather skinny and I'd like her to put some flesh on - I sure wish I had this problem from pregnacy:nod

Use the Calf Manna sparingly due to the high protein. I'd also introduce some moist foods to the diet (a little carrot/apple) for some additional moisture. A little parsley or dandelion leaves can also help to boost appetite.

Nutri Cal is an excellent way to add the extra calories that she needs.

Pam

Latest posts

Back