Skinny bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samandshawn

Reaction score
My gran has just been given a little black bun,I think its a boy, not very old and he is sooo skinny, seems to beeating fine and pooping, but she wants to try something to get him intoshape, and ideas?

You can add a little bit of oats to hisfeed. That will help him gain some weight, but you don't wanthim gaining too quickly. That wouldn't be goodeither. What does he weigh now? If he's 2-3 lbs,I'd give him 2 tablespoons of oats per day with is pellets.It won't upset his digestion and he should like it a lot.

The first step is to have him checked forparasites. Some young bunnies will also feel bony as they arequickly growing. Minerals are very important at this time.

Pam

Awww, so tiny. I'd start him on atablespoon of oats (not the instant oatmeal kind! You can use the"Cooking Oatmeal". It's easy to get at thesupermarket.) Add it to his pellets. He'll probablydig for it and eat it first! After a few days, if it's not"bothering" him (no change in poops or eating habits) You canincrease the oats a little bit at a time. You really don'twant him to gain too quickly. As he adjusts to the food andthe oats, you should see him "round out" a little more. Thenyou should start cutting back on the oats. If he's stillpretty young, I would not recommend fruits or veges yet. Heshould have a good supply of hay every day.

samandshawn wrote:
do you mean worms etc? he came from a vets he was found on aroad, the vet said he is healthy just undernourished

Since he is still growing, and the mineral balance is so important,just keep up with plenty of pellets (greens/veggies can also be slowlyadded). Do double check to be certain he was actually testedfor parasites. Just a small amount of hay daily, as he may befilling up on hay and not getting the proper nutrient balance from thepellets that he currently needs to gain weight.

Pam

Back