Skinny bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MyBabyBunnies wrote:
They say not to feed quick oats because of how fast they swell up. The can swell up in the throat and cause a blockage or if a rabbit eats too many very fast, they can all swell up in the stomach and create problems.

I was concerned about using the quick oats too, as I had bought a large container and used almost all of it before I realized my mistake (guy thing....duh!). I think it was Pam that posted back to me and started the last discussion.

When contacting the Quaker Oats company I was advised that "... our Quaker Quick Oats are made with 100% natural, whole grain Quaker Oats that have been cut finer to cook faster." Keeping that in mind is what prompts me to give less of the Quick Oats, if that's all I have on hand.

As far as the "swelling", I can't imagine that a whole rolled oat that is cut up would swell anymore than if it wasn't. Neither could the people at Quaker.

Could this topic be considered "Food for thought"?:?

~Jim

Actually they will. More surface area means more access for water to enter meaning they will swell faster. I've never had experience with it so I can't say a lot other than what I've read and heard.

I feed regular rolled oats or whole oats, we don't have quick oats.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
Actually they will. More surface area means more access for water to enter meaning they will swell faster. I've never had experience with it so I can't say a lot other than what I've read and heard.

I feed regular rolled oats or whole oats, we don't have quick oats.
THAT'S what I said to the lady at Quaker. I explained that I give them to my bunnies (which she thought was very cute) and I was concerned about the fact that the smaller pieces would swell faster. Her response..."the bunnies chew up the whole rolled oatsfirst, right? So doesn't that mean that they're actually consuming smaller pieces...just like the Quick Oats?" And I said...."but, they can consume quick oats faster because the don't have to chew them as much". And so went the conversation with the Quaker lady. Nothing definative was ever reached, needless to say.

I use the regular old-fashion oats, too. If we have to use quick oats, the ammount given is a quarter of the usual.

~Jim

I think that's the problem, they can eat quick oats faster so they consume a lot more before they swell. Anyways, I don't think it's common for it to be a real issue but I've always been told not to use quick oats. I don't think a small amount is an issue because if it's limited, they don't get enough for it to be an issue. Either way, I'll stick to rolled oats.

Latest posts

Back