Skinny bunny plz help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So Minnie has been ill with gi stasis this past week. I took her to the vet last Monday and got medication and some oxbow critical care. She had a recheck on friday and the vet said she was doing better but loosing too much weight. He gave me another bag of the critical care and told me to mix it half an half with ground up pellets, and throw it in a blender with lettuce and sryinge feed her every 4 hours. Is there anything else I can feed her to help her gain the weigh back? She's dropped half her body weight in just under 2 weeks (4lbs to just over 2) she was eating romaine and kale with herbs out of a bowl but it seems like today she had no appitite at all but I had just force fed her 4 table spoons. She won't touch her Timothy hay even with some alfalfa mixed in with it. I also made her a more solid mixture of ground up pellets and chopped up hay mixed with pedilite and and leave that in her cage for her to munch on. She's barely eating in her own now but till take the sryinge full of food from me.

How many days since she stopped eating on her own? Was she losing weight before this? Did the vet determine the cause of the stasis occurring, and were any tests done, like blood tests or xrays? Where her teeth thoroughly examined to make sure they aren't the cause for the lack of appetite? For her to continue losing weight, means she either isn't getting enough critical care to maintain her weight, or she has an underlying health issue that is causing the weight loss, and is likely the cause of the stasis occurring.

Can you get her to take more of the critcal care? More food consumed will help with weight gain more than anything. Alfalfa hay gradually introduced into the diet can also sometimes help, as long as there are no bladder or kidney issues, but this won't work if she won't eat it.

Her teeth were checked and she had an X-ray. He said it could have been stress or the treats she was getting (colorful pretzel shaped things from petco) she'll eat on her own but not much. She takes the critical care mixed with pellets and fluids threw a syringe and she gets excited when she sees it. She latches right on to the syringe, I don't have to force it in her mouth. When I give her the critical care on it's own she'll eat a little bit but never finishes the bowl. How many table spoons should I be feeding her every 4 hours? I've been giving her 4tbls of a mixture of 1/4 critical care, 1/4 pellets ground up, and 1/2 pedialite (unflovored)

You probably know this already, but have you tried apple/cranberry juice with critical care? Or sprinkle cc on food such as mashed bananas, canned pumpkin, canned baby food, or other mashed or puréed food.
I use Oxbow's Digestive Support tablets (4.00% crude fat) as a treat. You can try soaking the tab in water for 10-15 minutes. Drain water and mash up tab into smaller amounts with a spoon.
It does seem that there could be an underlying issue-that's a steep weight loss. JBun will surely come back with more informed suggestions/info for you, but I'm just curious what pellets you have been feeding her? I'm considering these American Pet Diner Critter Be Better Probiotic Pellets intended for animals that are distressed, sick, lacking appetite or underweight, as part of my "emergency kit". Recommended when my vet said my eldest is a few ounces shy of his ideal weight and had some digestive upset. My rabbit's regular pellets are Sherwood Forest's maintenance support, fed free choice, which also claims it can help underweight rabbits gain weight. Your vet likely would have suggested these pellets if they were more effective than the current pellets, however.
Hope she gets better.

Maybe try and tempt her and encourage her to eat with a bit of fresh food. Rabbits love coriandee. If not, try carrot peels. If not I'm not sure. Hope bunny geta better.

I contacted a local rabbit rescue and one of the founders actually payed for me to get a second opinion. She took Minnie back to the rescue and is nursing her back to health. I'll be getting her back once she's able to be left alone while I'm at work. Everyone I've talked to has told me that the vet she went to sounds like a quack dr.

Latest posts

Back