Skinny After Spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ams1786

Reaction score
Hi all. Thanks for all the replies on my last thread - she's definitely not herself yet but she's eating/bathrooming/trying (and succeeding) to sneak out of her cage. I did have another question and figured I should start another thread. Is it normal for buns to look sort of skinny after a spay? Her stomach area is a lot more slender than before. When you look at her from above you can see a distinct waist whereas before she was sort of straight. From the side you can see the distinct line of her back leg. Is it possible there's just less in there so it's smaller/she's contracting her stomach muscles because she's sore? Or maybe even that a few days of limited food intake just helped her diet (she's had a weight problem in the past and lost 3 ounces before her spay so maybe Im just not used to a skinny bunny). She's also moving kind of funny - gingerly hopping and doing some weird stretches but I figured that was just because she was sore. I've also noticed when she's panting or lying still you can distinctly see her sides moving whereas before you couldn't really.

Could she be dehydrated? How long has it been since the surgery? Was the uterus normal and not pregnant? Is she back to eating normally?

:lookaround
Hi all. Thanks for all the replies on my last thread - she's definitely not herself yet but she's eating/bathrooming/trying (and succeeding) to sneak out of her cage. I did have another question and figured I should start another thread. Is it normal for buns to look sort of skinny after a spay? Her stomach area is a lot more slender than before. When you look at her from above you can see a distinct waist whereas before she was sort of straight. From the side you can see the distinct line of her back leg. Is it possible there's just less in there so it's smaller/she's contracting her stomach muscles because she's sore? Or maybe even that a few days of limited food intake just helped her diet (she's had a weight problem in the past and lost 3 ounces before her spay so maybe Im just not used to a skinny bunny). She's also moving kind of funny - gingerly hopping and doing some weird stretches but I figured that was just because she was sore. I've also noticed when she's panting or lying still you can distinctly see her sides moving whereas before you couldn't really.
--being spay,d is surgery--so post surgery-- there are concerns of pain (-oral-meds-ie.metacam)-and getting the gi tract moving again-ie.reglyn)-,,--stay with the grasses,,pellets and lots of water,--start a chart for weighing her every 6-8 hours,--feed her if necessary to get the mobility going smooth-(lots of poops and cecotropes)--hope this reaches you quickly,--sincerely james waller:wave2

Back