Skin tearing around female scent glands?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapkrackelpop19

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what this is I was checking my rabbit and noticed that on both sides of her scent glands the skin was tearing. I think it might be a scent gland infection but it doesn't look quite right. It's slightly red but there doesn't appear to be any bleeding. She isn't acting like she's in pain. We have had a problem with her gaining weight, we recently added her to our family and don't have any history on her.
20120628_154915.jpg
20120628_154907.jpg

Yeah, there is just gunk built up in her scent glands. They often look like skin tearing when gently pulled open, that's just how they look.

Do you know how to do it? I recommend opening up the windows first. It's pretty stinky. Then use mineral oil (or baby oil or even cooking oil if you need to), dip q-tips in it, and use them to GENTLY wipe the gunk away. If it is sticking to the skin, dab it with oil, let it soften, and then try wiping it away again.

Some rabbits just get build-up in the scent glands. My NZ, Oberon, needs his cleaned every year or so, but he's the only one I've had that gets gross scent glands.

Latest posts

Back