skin irritation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kblair

Reaction score
I was hoping you guys might have some input. Ihave a flemish giant rabbit who has recently started to develop what Ithink is some sort of skin problem. She has a patch right at the backof her neck where she has lost some hair, the skin is really flaking,and their seems to be some scabbing (I think she might be itching itand causing this). Is it safe to put polysporin or something on it?

Thanks everyone.

What's polysporin? Is thatNeosporin? I know Neosporin is okay if you cover the woundthinly, but you can't use Neosporin Plus.

I'm wondering if it's fur mites, though. I haven'texperienced them yet (thankfully!) so it's hard for me to tell from adescription. There are meds for this, but it's usually bestto let a vet prescribe them so you can get the dosages correct, etc.

Neosporin is like polysporin. I'm not sure aboutthe mites, their doesn't appear to be any "dirt" around the area, justdry skin; and it's only in one spot. And I don't know how she wouldcome in contact with mites.

Kristyn

Here's a short article on fur mites in case youare interested. Apparently mites don't leave "dirt," that'sfleas. From the article: The mites cause skinirritation, usually along the back of the animal. Infested animals mayhave slight hair loss, scales (dandruff), itching and possibly somethickening of the skin. Rabbits and cats may not show any signs ofinfestation.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=18&cat=1803&articleid=1597

Again, this may or may not be your problem. It's just a common problem of rabbits.

Latest posts

Back