Skin irritation/odd shedding pattern

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigtommyg

Reaction score
I'm going to try to take Alfie to the vet tomorrow for this, but I wanted to see if I could get some insight here too. Alfie's a lionhead dwarf, so I'm used to heavy sheds and lots of brushing. But for the past couple of days the fur on her right side has been coming out in loose clumps that I had to pull off by hand.

The clumps were loose and there was new fur underneath, so I didn't think anything of it, especially since Roger gets something similar at the end of his sheds ("cactus butt"). But tonight after I removed some loose fur from Alfie's side, I saw exposed skin with some red spots. I immediately stopped brushing her. She's got a little bald spot now, and I'm concerned.

She isn't acting uncomfortable, she's eating fine, and all other signs are fine; she's just got a little bald spot surrounded by thinner fur. Her mate doesn't have any skin irritation, and isn't even shedding much right now.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

I don't know about the lion head breed specifically, however some rabbits do get bald spots during a heavy shed that should grow back in a few weeks. Could the redness be from brushing?
It isn't a bad idea ,however, to get this checked out by a vet since it isn't usual for him.

let us know how it goes

maureen

bigtommyg wrote:
The clumps were loose and there was new fur underneath, so I didn't think anything of it, especially since Roger gets something similar at the end of his sheds ("cactus butt"). But tonight after I removed some loose fur from Alfie's side, I saw exposed skin with some red spots. I immediately stopped brushing her. She's got a little bald spot now, and I'm concerned.

That's what we call it LMBO!!!

I don't know about lionheads either, but mini-rex get bald spots during molts......

Bo just got a good coat on and then I held him just the other day and his whole dewlap area like started falling out.... new hair but MAN! there was a ton of the old stuff come out.

If I pluck Muffin or Tony too much (especially Muffin) she'll get bald spots that get red and irritated. Have you been grooming enthusiastically? I know as soon as I see skin at the edge of where I've been pulling hair out I've gone too far. I usualy put a bit of non-pain med neosporin on it.

Yup. I, too, have plucked several buns until they had balds spots. I have not had the problem with red spots, but none of my guys tolerate brushing ... and I agree that brushing could cause skin irritation.

Kathy

I just want to clarify that if you "pluck" be very very gentle..... don't take the fur and yank.

When I pluck, I gently use my fingers to sort of just scratch through the fur....... it's hard to describe.

Yes, "plucking", like brushing,is really just a way of removing hair that is already loose. If it is is still attached, leave it that way (even if it looks like a "butt feather").

K

Latest posts

Back