Sister for Basil?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad kelpie

Reaction score
Basil has been living with Lump since he was 4 months old. They got along so well. Then Lump died, probably from old age.

Poor guy has been so lost. I've been scouring Craigslist, kijiji, facebook, feed stores, pet stores, newspapers and there are NO rabbits for sale (which is probably a good thing with easter coming up).

There are no rescues here either (I don't trust my car with anything further than 30 miles).

I found a dutch at the pet shop today but it was a male, and dutch is a little too small for Basil, I think.

So tonight, one last time, I checked craigslist again and there was an ad worded exactly like the one last May for Basil, "Flemish rabbits". The phone digits are 1 off, so probably a family share deal. He has 2. They wouldn't be "whole" siblings to basil, since his dad died before I got him. But perhaps half.

Now, Basil is in my signature, so you can see that he is not a flemish giant, but I suspect a mix of flemish and checkered, with maybe some new zealand thrown in. The new batch of babies doesn't look purebred either, but closer. The picture posted with the ad has a squat little bunny with shorter ears. I don't care though, he's not charging purebred prices either ($15).

Now I just wait for a text back to see if either are female. :)

check hoobly.com
It seems more breeders use that site. They have a section just for rabbits. Select a breed and your state.

I'm getting both. :scared:

They're too young, but he is adamant that they need to go. :( I don't want them ending up in easter baskets.

I'm taking both so they at least have eachother for the next few weeks at least. He doesn't know the genders but said "When they eat on their own that's the time they got to go" :( They're 4 weeks.

If they're boys, I'll may rehome them, but after easter.

Keep a close eye on their eating and pooping. A bunny that I ended up with was 4 weeks old and nearly died cause it was weaned to early from it's mom.

I will keep them with me nearly constantly. I was thinking about getting some goats milk to keep on hand. Do you think giving them pellets soaked in goat milk a couple times a day would be a good idea?

Actually what you want to do is try and keep their food as much the same as possible. Make sure the breeder gives you a bag of transition feed, and find out what kind(if any) hay was being fed to them, and anything else they had been fed, like veggies, and find out the exact amounts of each thing they were being fed(ex: are they being free fed or is it a limited amount, and how much). The 4 week old I got, was supposedly weaned and eating rabbit food. Well, I got her and she wouldn't touch rabbit food and didn't know how to drink from a water bottle or dish. I later realized that they had weaned her off her mom by feeding her lettuce, and that is all she would eat for the first 10 days I had her. I was feeding her about 1 head of green leaf lettuce a day(by the way, this is not something I recommend, it was a necessity). Gradually she started nibbling on pellets, and then eating them, but it was a stressful process.

So get the transition feed, and if they won't give you any, then make sure to find out the exact kind they are feeding, cause you will have to go out and buy it. Then the first few days feed them exactly the same as they were being fed in their previous home, but most important is to not assume the babies are eating, but actually watch them and make sure they are. And check their bums every day, for soft poops stuck to their butts, and also keep an eye on their fecal droppings to make sure they stay normal. After a few days, when you are sure they are doing ok, then you can gradually change their food, if you need to. Just remember to do gradual slow food changes, to minimize digestive upset. If you do encounter soft poop problems, increase grass hay, decrease pellet amounts. If you want to, you could get some goats milk to have one hand just in case.

Last edited:
A reputable breeder that cares about their rabbits will give you some food with them. I did when i adopted my frenchie from a breeder. Plus some of his favorite snack.

Back