Sisi is pulling fur...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatsMySimi

Reaction score
Sisi is pulling fur and putting in it one corner of her cage... She hasnt been put in with a buck since I got her, and I dont think she was put in with one at the home that had her beofre I did, but she was beside a Netherland Dwarf Buck I think........ I h vae had her for about a month, I think, maybe longer... But she HAS NOT been put near a buck since I got her (Unless Simi is a buck, but we are almost 100% sure shes a she.) and if she did get bred at the first home, it could be past a month, or just a month... I dont know... Anyone have a doe who pulls fur even if she isnt preg? Should I go get her a nesting box? What should I do?

Thanks.
SSS

The reason why she is probably pulling fur because

1. she wants to be bred (my does do that all the time)

2. phantom pregnancy (my one doe charlotte pulled out tons of fur and she was like taking care of her phantom babies)

Okay thanks :) One more question, when your does pull because they want to breed, do they have the flappy thing under thier chin (Sorry, brain fart, and i cant remember what they are called)?

Your Welcome :) Yes all does will have that flappy skin under there chin,and that is called a dewlap (I think I spelt that right or wrong) lol

Okay, thanks very much, I am less freaked out now... But I think I may still go get a nesting box for her... And thanks for that piece of info, I was having a blonde moment. :)

Gestation for a rabbit is 28-32 days. So if it has been about that long since you got her, and there is the possibility she bred with the buck through the cage, then give her a nest box to be safe.

I would much rather be prepared for babies, then to find cold dead babies all over the cage.

Give her a nest box, shoe box works well. Fill it with some hay, and make a nice fist sized deep hole in the middle. Move all of her fur and any other nesting material to the box in the hole.

Keep a close eye on her.

Besides pulling fur, is there any other odd behaviour? Is she pulling the fur frantically in spurts?

--Dawn

No, she isnt pulling it franticly, to be honest, I didnt even see her pull the fur, I just went over to see them, and the corner was full of fur.... I have some nesting boxes(mom used to have some breeding does)so I will go out and get out now. Thanks for the help.. I will look to see what day I got her, so I can tell exactly how long I have had her. Oh, and she isnt acting different besides laying around a lot, and she hasnt done her morning 'laps' in a while...(She runs around her cage jumping high and shaking her head, and binking)

I got her on July 7th... So anytime before that she could have been bred(ifthe bun beside her was a buck). But, Sisi and Simi go out to play together sometime, and Sisi has tried to hump Simi, so if Sisi was preg, she wouldnt be humping Simi right?:?

I don't think humping is any indicator of pregnancy. It would be purely for dominance.

Does she ever stretch out on her side? If you watch closely, you may be able to see little ripples in her belly where babies are moving. If she handles well, you can try holding your hand on the side of her lowera abdomen, with part of the hand on the side and the fingers going underneath her towards her tail. If she's within the last week of pregnany, you'll be able to feel the babies moving.

It may just be a false pregancy, but be prepared just in case its not.

It has been 13 days since you brought her home. So she would have had to been breed about two weeks before you picked her up. What kind of a home did she come from?

--Dawn

In the home she was in before I got her, she was in a row of wire cages, and in the cage beside her, there MAY have been a buck Nethie, so she may have gotten bred through the wire... BUT to be fair, the lady who had her before us got her from a lady who said Sisi was a nutered male.... But shes a she...

When I asked about the humping, I ment would it be normal for a doe thats preg? and Sisi grunts when around Simi, could that have something ot do with her maybe being preg?

She does lay down on her side, and she is rather fat... She doesnt like me touching her belly though... And shes been putting her bum to me lately, now that I think about it, she has been off the past couple of days...:?Mom can usualy tell if a doe is preg or not, but moms not home right now. So Ill set up a nesting box in case, and wait till mom gets home to get her to check Sisi.... Thanks for all the help guys :)

Im am prepared to have a litter of kits in the house, but I dont think I'd be upset if Sisi wasnt preg...

Its not a whole lot of fur, just a little in the corner by her water bottle... Maybe Im just over reacting, and shes pulling fur cause she wants to breed.......:?::Shrugs:: She also kinda squeaks at me when I go near her belly, and she usualy doesnt....

If you got her on July 7th you have no way of knowing for sure that she

is not bred. By the way that she is acting it sounds like she could be to me.

I would give her the nestbox just in case and have your mother check her.

Roger

I talked to the lady who had her before me, and she said theres no way shes pregnant. So, my poor Sisi must be having a phantom pregnancie.:?

It might be that Simi has brought that on. One of our Dopeys gets triggered into phantom pregnancies when the other Dopey humps her for dominance and stuff like that.

Sisi might havesensed the changing hormones in Simi.

Back