Silly question - Large vs Small rabbit intelligence

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leowyldemi

Reaction score
this may be a silly question, but are larger breeds of rabbits smarter than smaller breeds?don't get me wrong, stewies a clever little bun, but i've never had a large bun to compare, howie was small too.

I don't know. So far all our rabbits have been pretty clever. Our large lop used to be able to open her cage door and get out. I think their intelligence is as different as their personalities and that seems to go by individual rabbits and no so much breed. But, my experience is very limited.

I have found that no question here is a silly question. I personally would not say that a larger breed was smarter. In my experience though they can be much more docile, depending on the breed of course. Naturally every rabbit is different and has a different temperament.

My son has had smaller buns. They do seem a little more aloof and wary. My personal bunny is an English lop. He lets me do anything I want with him. Pick him up, snuggle him, kiss his lips...he's smart, but I really couldn't say that he was any smarter than the smaller ones.

I don't think size indicates anything about intelligence levels, a Netherlands Dwarf is just as smart as a Flemish Giant. :)

I don't think so. My netherland dwarf is the cleverest animal I ever had (that's including the cat, the dog and the guinea pigs) and she is significantly smarter than the two holland lops I've had. But then again, I picked her exclusively because I thought she looked clever (I got her on the French equivalent of Craigslist) - I was more looking for a siamese rabbit or a thrianta but she had I don't know... a real spark in her eyes on the photo so I got her. And she never disappoints : she learnt tricks like give paw, turn, jump very easily and does dog's food puzzles like a champ. She has got the best survival instincts I've seen in my life : she will never eat something the first time you give it to her. She will let the other rabbit it eat and began to eat it on the 3rd day I give it every single time. She trusts no one, not even me XD

My Trix is awesomely smart!!!!! She is a teeny tiny Dutch Dwarf!!!!!

I had a little bunny who was going to be HUGE. His name was Brer, Jr. (I nick named my wide "Brer") and he was a really, really cool bunny my boy Trigger HATED. Brer, Jr. was very sweet but was going to be a GIANT. Was he smarter than Trix? Who knows? I wish Trigger and Brer, Jr. would have gotten on. He was a cool, cool, cool little guy who was to turn into a BIG BIG BIG bunny. He finds the two humans CLOSEST together to snuggle between. :sigh:

We fostered Brer, Jr.

Last edited:
Back