*sigh of relief* I found my vet!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyva

Reaction score
ETA: I'm not sure if this is the right place for this kind of post or not. I just realized I may have put it in the wrong section. Wish there was a way to edit the category. I apologize in advance.

I know we have a vet directory somewhere around here, but I felt this needed to be said.

I called around my area (Doylestown PA) to check for a true rabbit vet. Our town's vet usually passes rabbits to other vets, so I asked her for their numbers. One was in Dublin, and the other in Quakertown. The one in Quakertown was actually listed in the 'certified vets' area I think.

I was unable to speak with the vet, but when I asked the receptionist if they have rabbits fast before surgery, she said yes. I kindly thanked her, then hung up.

I called a few other vets and got the same thing. They need to fast so they don't get sick. Thank you to those of you who have this listed as a trick question, seriously!

In any case, I kept calling around, and finally gave in and called my old exotic animals vet, Ark Animal Hospital. Dr. Robin (my old vet) left a while back, but it looks like they have a new vet (as in, within the last 3 years) in her place.

That said, I started going through my list of questions with the receptionist since this weekend is the vet's weekend off. I got to the question about fasting, and held my breath.

"No."

I blinked. Exhaled. "Thank God. You have no idea how many offices don't know that around here."

I went on, asking more questions.

"Do you keep the animal over night?"

"No, we do not."

Also good, as I've read staying the night can cause undue stress to the rabbit (unless something is wrong of course).

Next question. "Do you send it home with pain killers?"

"Yes."

"For a neuter, would you wrap the rabbit, give him a collar or send him home as is?"

"We send you home with everything you need just in case he starts messing with the affected area."

I feel so much better. I was starting to wonder if I was going to have to check in with our local SPCA and just hope for the best. Oh, and Dr. Armstrong of the Ark Animal Hospital sees numerous rabbits and other exotics several times a week.

Cucumber and I will be going to see the doctor next Thursday for a well-check.

Wish us luck :)

Last edited:
ETA: I'm not sure if this is the right place for this kind of post or not. I just realized I may have put it in the wrong section. Wish there was a way to edit the category. I apologize in advance.

I know we have a vet directory somewhere around here, but I felt this needed to be said.

I called around my area (Doylestown PA) to check for a true rabbit vet. Our town's vet usually passes rabbits to other vets, so I asked her for their numbers. One was in Dublin, and the other in Quakertown. The one in Quakertown was actually listed in the 'certified vets' area I think.

I was unable to speak with the vet, but when I asked the receptionist if they have rabbits fast before surgery, she said yes. I kindly thanked her, then hung up.

I called a few other vets and got the same thing. They need to fast so they don't get sick. Thank you to those of you who have this listed as a trick question, seriously!

In any case, I kept calling around, and finally gave in and called my old exotic animals vet, Ark Animal Hospital. Dr. Robin (my old vet) left a while back, but it looks like they have a new vet (as in, within the last 3 years) in her place.

That said, I started going through my list of questions with the receptionist since this weekend is the vet's weekend off. I got to the question about fasting, and held my breath.

"No."

I blinked. Exhaled. "Thank God. You have no idea how many offices don't know that around here."

I went on, asking more questions.

"Do you keep the animal over night?"

"No, we do not."

Also good, as I've read staying the night can cause undue stress to the rabbit (unless something is wrong of course).

Next question. "Do you send it home with pain killers?"

"Yes."

"For a neuter, would you wrap the rabbit, give him a collar or send him home as is?"

"We send you home with everything you need just in case he starts messing with the affected area."

I feel so much better. I was starting to wonder if I was going to have to check in with our local SPCA and just hope for the best. Oh, and Dr. Armstrong of the Ark Animal Hospital sees numerous rabbits and other exotics several times a week.

Cucumber and I will be going to see the doctor next Thursday for a well-check.

Wish us luck :)
--very wise to interview over the phone,however the recepionist and dvm are not the same,,but just keep your eyes open when you take cucumber in and if they get offended because you ask questions you will have to decide--the bunz fate rests with you--and you have that well in hand--,,that given i too ask alot of questions,,i would ask "does this vet see lagamorphs."some of the looks i got were frightening..--any medications i would ask all the info you could gather including all paperwork--R.O.L.-has lots of info too,--or try medirabbit.com ,---good job and one happy bun...sincerely james waller--:blueribbon::big wink::apollo:

I have to agree, it sounds more like you found your receptionist, but well-traines staff certainly are a good sign.
If a receptionist ever tells you something that doesn't sound right, be sure to clarify it with the vet. There are definitely things that are normal and necessary for cats and dogs (e.g. fasting before anesthesia, vaccinations, etc) that aren't normal for rabbits.

I thought the same, Christina. I do plan on asking more direct questions when I see the vet. It is nice that the receptionists know the difference when it comes to rabbits.

Latest posts

Back