Sierra valley hay? good quality online hay??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetwobunnies

Reaction score
so after trying to find good quality hay for a good price i found sierra valley hay. i am allergic to timothy so KMS hay and AMP timothy is out of the question sorry! i do however would like to have a mixture of hays, but orchard being the main type. i was thinking of buying 20lbs of orchard grass from sierra valley and possibly purchasing some organic oxbow meadow grass somewhere else.
its a pretty good price; 20lbs of hay for 32$. however im worried about the quality, i love BB (binky bunny) mini hay bales (orchard grass) but i would like something bigger? that will last me longer.
anyone know what the quality of sierra valley is? also, i decided that the quality of oxbow is unreliable which why i have decided to look for a better brand.
anyone know what other good HIGH QUALITY hay brands out there online? that sell orchard grass 10lbs or more? that is reasonably priced? there are no good local places (farms, feed stores etc) that sell good quality hay. the feed store i go to sometimes sells bermuda but they said its usually used for bedding but horses eat it too? so i dont knowwhat the deal is but that was kind of a turn down.

I don't know about ordering online, but have you looked at the bermuda at the feed store? If might still be ok. If it's a later cut so that the grass is coarser and more thick stems rather than an early cut softer grass, that might be the reason that they said it's used for bedding. Later cut hay has less protein and more fiber than early cut and so may not have enough protein for a horses main food source, but as long as the hay is green and good quality, that wouldn't matter as much for a rabbit because we primarily feed them the hay for the extra fiber, and feed pellets and veggies for the nutrients that are needed. As long as it's a good quality and hasn't gotten wet at all, it would be ok.

i bought a huge bale and i have some in the garage but its really hard and its green, its like yellow and some parts are very light green

The most important things about hay are that it helps wear the sharp points down on their teeth and that the fiber helps keep their digestion moving well. If you were feeding a no pellet diet, then getting a better higher protein hay would be more important. If it seems like it's a decent quality and your rabbit likes it and eats it, you can't get much better then that. I've actually bought what looked like really nice hay to me, and have had my rabbits not like it as well as some other hay that didn't look as good to me.

If you do not like the hay from that feed store then look for another feed store. I am sure that there are lots of feed stores in the dallace fort worth area.

Latest posts

Back