Side Yard?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallenRabbit

Reaction score
So I have a unused side yard. It is about 23 feet by 6 feet, so it is big. I was wondering if I could use that space for a rabbit. There is about 90% shade and 10% sun. When looking at the side yard, my house is on the right of it. My window faces to the outside yard so I can keep an eye outside. The ground back there is DRY and has lots of tiny rocks. I was thinking I could find large amounts of dirt and put it ontop of those small rocks. I guess the side yard is about 23 cubic feet? There is brick all along the sides except for the front, right side (my house) and the back. So I could try to put wire on the bottom of the ground, then put dirt on top. It will take a lot of time, probably 1 month.. all depends on where I find dirt and how much money I'm willing to spend. What do you think about this? There is a rotten shed near the sideyard (we are tearing it down soon) so I could rebuild a shed there and make a 23x6 foot run along with that.
In the sideyard there are DRY, maybe dead grape plants. Those never really grew. I have a passionfruit tree back there too. There are also these 3 bulb flowers..
They I guess are:
Crinum Lily: Cape Lily, Pass Along Pink, Light Pink Flowers, Southern Favorite!
This is a link:
http://www.onalee.com/catalog.php/o...g_Pink__Light_Pink_Flowers_Southern_Favorite_

Now I'm not sure if i'm getting a rabbit anytime soon, right now I'm focusing on school.
What do you think? :?

Passionfruit vines/etc. are bad for rabbits. I could just take that area away from the run and make the run smaller..
And I guess rabbits can be with grape plants.. The plant is dead/dry from the time we were on vacation (they were forgoten by the person watching my house).
Any ideas?
The passion fruit plant takes up about half the space of the side yard. Which isn't that bad because where the passionfruit is there is a drain to our kitchen sink... So I will probably only use the space without the passionfruit tree enless you hear otherwise. :)

is there a way you can put some sort of screen/mesh/chicken wire over the top of the side yard to ensure that birds and cats can't get in? I wouldn't leave them alone outside without some sort of cover to keep predators out. you'll also want some sort of hutch as a "home base" for food, water, etc. and to provide shelter if it rains.

I was thinking of making a large, walk in rabbit run. Wire on all sides, including top and bottom. Inside the run would be a hutch.
Before I can do anything we need to get rid of all the old scrap metal in the side yard.
What would you buys think of for flooring for an outside area?
There would be a tarp on top of the large run so there is full shade/no rain.
I could use dirt on top of the wire bottom so he can dig a little without getting out. I have a feeling that the wood would just get rotten.
I measured the area where he can't reach the passion fruit and it is about 12x6 feet.

what do you guys think about run/hutch size?
How big should I make the hutch?
How big should I make the run?
Should the hutch be inside of the run or on the outside of the run?

run size - bigger is always better! 6'x12' would be ok - that works out to the same square footage as my indoor run, which seems to keep two smaller-breed bunnies happy.

hutch size - I'd go with 2'x3' as the absolute minimum size (bigger if you get a larger breed bunny) with enough room for the bunny to stand up fully inside it

if the hutch can be built outside but attached to the run, that would be better since it would mean that the run is slightly larger. the important things are that the bunny has access to both, shelter from the environment, protection from predators and can't escape - beyond that, the more space you can provide, the better :)

Latest posts

Back