Sick Rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallenRabbit

Reaction score
I have a question..

Do rabbits get sick/ill a lot?

I keep seeing all these topics about their rabbit getting sick, how many times have you had to take your rabbit into a vet for something that was an emergency?

Thanks guys!

I haven't had to rush mine to the vet yet *knock on wood*, only issue I had to deal with was some syringe feeding when they didn't want to eat after their spays.

the most common problems are GI stasis (bunny not eating and/or pooping), usually caused by a blockage, hairball or gas, and tooth problems that can cause them to not eat and/or develop an abscess.

Many people come to the site only when they have a problem, so it seems like rabbits are awfully prone to illness etc. It;s true to an extent though.

I have only have taken a rabbit to the vet once for pneumonia three years ago (she never got it after she was treated), once for urine scald (we weren't sure why it happened but gave her more hay and treated her with a cream from the vet and it never came back, once because I had a hydrocephalis baby that we wanted to try to save him (he didn't make it), and then twice for a broken leg (one on a 1week old and the other on an 8 month old). In the four years we have bred and shown rabbits. They are generally healthy animals.

My 6 yr. old male has went a total of 3 times. 1) to get fixed, 2) ear infection, 3) his mate had a UTI so we thought we would just take him in for a general check-up because he had been loosing weight. I think we actually caused more problems for him by stressing him out due to the 6.5 hr. ride in the car:tears2:

Our 3 yr. old female has also went 3 times. 1) to get fixed, 2) she developed a UTI shortly after being fixed and 3) just recently for another UTI. Vet said some rabbits are just more prone to UTI's than others (kind of like people).

Latest posts

Back